Grizzly Band saw issue

Dom DiCara

I have the G1019z with the riser kit. Never had an issue with the unit before, but yesterday I was cutting up some oak and I heard a loud snap and the unit stopped.

The lower wheel axle snapped in half. My question is was this something I caused with too much tension? Or has anyone ever had this happen to them before?

Thanks

Last edited:
Dom,

Sorry to hear about this incident - pleased you weren't hurt. How are you adjusting the blade tension. The best way seems to be the 'flutter' method.

Dom,

Sorry to hear about this incident - pleased you weren't hurt. How are you adjusting the blade tension. The best way seems to be the 'flutter' method.

Bill...that was how I have always done it.....no issues with being hurt thank god, but it scared the bejesus out of me!

Grizzly said it has not been an issue.....new part 23 bucks and I figured I better order the bearing it sits in in case that was what froze up on me.

you probably had to much horse power hooked up to it dom ,, you arent like tim allen from the tool time show from a few years back are you:) glad you could get part..

Blade tensioning probably wasn't your problem. It was likely a defective part from the beginning - a hairline crack just took a while to finally open up and give way.

With most 14" saws, the first part to go due to over-tensioning is the pot metal bracket that holds the top wheel's axle. It's pretty much the weak link in the system.

You were smart to order the new bearing along with the shaft. The old bearing likely wouldn't have outlasted the new shaft anyway, so this way you'll only need to disassemble thing once.

you probably had to much horse power hooked up to it dom ,, you arent like tim allen from the tool time show from a few years back are you:) glad you could get part..

Are you saying that I should take off the Bilford Turbo charger I installed?:D

I have the G1019. Dom doesn't your Z model saw have a 4" riser made for it? Mine had the 6" riser & I installed a 1 1/2 hp motor I had in the shop it works great.

I was lucky in that aspect. When i got it off of CL, it was used about 4x. Rob Keeble shot me an E-mail that Grizzly had the 4" riser on clearence for about 20 bucks....so I grabbed it. Had no idea they made a 6" riser for it. As for the motor, it never gets bogged down, unless the blade is shot. And I put some HARD stuff through it.

Besides that, once I got the riser balanced, which took a while....worked great

Dom,

I am so sorry for your problem. Maybe it was one of those freeway snipers and he got a shot at your machine.

I know, lousy humor!

I am glad that you were not hurt in any way except financial.

Enjoy,

JimB

Thanks Jim.....So far no snipers here in Edgewater. :rofl:

Blade tensioning probably wasn't your problem. It was likely a defective part from the beginning - a hairline crack just took a while to finally open up and give way.

FWIW I have to agree with Jim on this. Much more fragile parts than the axle in the drive line so it just about had to have a flaw in it.

Last edited:
It happens occasionally even in high quality steels. We've had a couple drive shafts at work break on equipment like this, material flaw creates a crack, and over time it grows across the shaft as it turns under load.

If you're curious if it's a crack, usually you'll see a dark grey area or even some rust where it's been cracked, and faint lines going across the area on the cracked part. The portion that broke last will have a lighter grey rough crystal texture (400 grit sandpaper finish) where it finally broke from overload. Sometimes it gets to damaged when it breaks to know, any bright smeared looking metal is just damage from it turning when it broke.

It happens occasionally even in high quality steels. We've had a couple drive shafts at work break on equipment like this, material flaw creates a crack, and over time it grows across the shaft as it turns under load.

If you're curious if it's a crack, usually you'll see a dark grey area or even some rust where it's been cracked, and faint lines going across the area on the cracked part. The portion that broke last will have a lighter grey rough crystal texture (400 grit sandpaper finish) where it finally broke from overload. Sometimes it gets to damaged when it breaks to know, any bright smeared looking metal is just damage from it turning when it broke.

I looked at it and it has a shiny outer rim and a darker inner area closer to the center, so maybe just bad foreign steel:D

I was lucky in that aspect. When i got it off of CL, it was used about 4x. Rob Keeble shot me an E-mail that Grizzly had the 4" riser on clearence for about 20 bucks....so I grabbed it. Had no idea they made a 6" riser for it. As for the motor, it never gets bogged down, unless the blade is shot. And I put some HARD stuff through it.
Besides that, once I got the riser balanced, which took a while....worked great

I think they made a G1019 with a 6" riser & a G1019Z with a 4" riser & that's why I purchased the G1019.

Heres is the cause of the snapped off axle on the Band Saw.....Luckily I received the axle and a couple of new bearings today.

Man-oh_man,,,,,when the go they really go!!!

Attachments

• DSCN2496.JPG
    DSCN2496.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 26