Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retirement

Amherst, New Hampshire

I got tired of the endless job search. No one wants to hire a 62 year old overweight construction tool and fastener salesman so I filed for early retirement.

So now all I need is a part time job to keep me going.

It will be nice to have some income for a change. The state I live in and the state my old employer is in have been fighting over who is supposed to give me unemployment benefits. So I haven't been getting any for the past year or so. Nice of them huh. Just gotta love bureaucracy

No excuses now not to spend more time in the shop and according to my wife, doing laundry, cooking dinner, cleaning house, grocery shopping......the list keeps on getting bigger and bigger.

Stop by for a coffee. I'll be here
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Plainwell, Michigan
    Sure isn't the way you wanted to enter retirement, BUT CONGRATULATIONS you made it anyway

Constantine, MI
    I was "ushered" into retirement the same way. Now 60+, I'm within striking distance of filing for SS. We'll get by till then and I may even sell some more of my work. I intended to stay with the last company till 65.

Concerning your list of things to do, I now wonder how I ever had time for work!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

North West Indiana
    My dad says he has no time to work now with all mom has him do.
    Bob, try to deal with workman's comp, same nonsense. Hope you enjoy and make the most out of your retirement. Ever in Indiana or Michigan I would enjoy meeting and talking with you.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Thomasville, GA
    on your retirement, Bob. I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out soon. At least you have some assigned tasks to keep you busy!

Thanks to 9/11, I 'retired' earlier than I had planned but it worked out OK. I was 57, drew unemployment for a while, found that companies that were looking for my talents would rather hire a fresh college kid with no experience and pay the same as I would get. Oh, well!!!

About the time my unemployment was running out, I saw a listing for a bench carpenter in a high-end cabinet shop. I thought what the heck and dropped by. I was hired on the spot because of my portfolio. My pay rate about a quarter of what I had been making but I got to make sawdust, learn more about cabinet-making, and get paid for it! Something to think about.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Delton, Michigan
    welcome to the better life bob.. hope you can get your back pay and then can relax even more and you need to get west sometime and you wont have to pay a dime for room and board at my place, and you WONT go away hungry or thirsty ,, right tom?
    Last edited by larry merlau; 10-06-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: missed a word:)
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Southeast Pa
    Well Bob I didn't want to retire as I did with the company failing to provide the benefits I was promised for the 33 years I spent there. However it is by far the best thing that ever happened to me. If one has enough to live I can't imagine a better life than getting up and doing what I want to do that day. Its been a little over two years now and there hasn't been a single hour of regret as of yet. And this is from someone that loved the job and what I did but had some disagreements with management once in a while. The pressure of looking for a job or trying to keep one in today's downsizing mindset is something I don't miss. I hope you enjoy retirement as much as I have.

Plainwell, Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    welcome to the better life bob.. hope you can get your back pay and then can relax even more and you need to get west sometime and you wont have to pay a dime for room and board at my place, and you go away hungry or thirsty ,, right tom?

new york city burbs
    Bob, Im not quite sure if Im happy for you or not.

The poor economy today is dictating the outcome for so many men in our age group.

I wasnt any luckier, forced to go for health reasons.

Im sure you will, as I do, get the same support from your family on your decision.

Now that you might be a bit free, next time your here, Ill hook you up with that corned beef sandwich at the deli.
    Human Test Dummy

Kansas City, Missouri
    Congratulations Bob! I hope you enjoy every minute of it. I hope you get that back-pay sometime soon too.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault