spindle sander

I havent seen a coupon offer from HD yet, so Im being patient.

Woodcraft on the other hand, has offered a 100 dollar gift card with the purchase of the jet tabletop spindle sander at 479.00.
Tempting offer as Im always getting stuff from woodcraft.

If you go to the post office and ask for a moving packet. Inside will be a 10% off coupon for Lowes. But HD accecpts them. Good up to $5,000.00 total purchuse.

Last edited:
I havent seen a coupon offer from HD yet, so Im being patient.

Woodcraft on the other hand, has offered a 100 dollar gift card with the purchase of the jet tabletop spindle sander at 479.00.
Tempting offer as Im always getting stuff from woodcraft.

I have the General International version of that same sander, and I really like it. However, as a "benchtop" tool, you'd better have a permanent benchtop for it. It weighs about 80 pounds! It sure is solid, though.

I found an ad on tuesday that advertised a ridgid belt/spindle sander for 100 bucks, claiming brand new still in box.
I jumped on it, as it was listed in brooklyn, about 30 minutes from me.
I got an email today from the guy, he sold it already. Still looking.

Alan....I ended up making my own spindle sander. (I have a seperate disc sander.) It is not oscillating, but it works pretty well. I used an old motor I had in the garage, and made the table out of MDF. If you want, I can E-maill the plans for you.

I've had the HF sander for alomost 6 years and never had a problem, it's always worked flawlessly. :thumb:

I have it on a small table with a Shopvac underneath, the hose plugs in the back. I have the sander and shopvac plugged into a switched outlet so when you turn on the switch both come on. It's very dependable I've been completely satisfied with it.

I had a couple coupons when I got it and think I only paid about $50. for it.

Sander.01.jpg Sander.02.jpg Sander.03.jpg

I have the grizzly spindle/disk combo :thumb:
"G0529 Oscillating Spindle / 12" Disc Sander"
Its definitely more heavy duty than the rigid, but for the price it certainly should be :rolleyes:

I've only had it for about 4 months but am pretty happy overall. The I'm eventually planning on opening up one side and putting in some shelves so I can use it for storing consumables (hate to see all that empty space wasted in the cabinet underneath).

Im not getting my new shop space, at least not in the near future, as I wont share the space, and the old tenant asked for another year.
I wasnt concerned about size since I was gaining 600 sq feet of space, but now, I need to get a sander and Ive waited long enough.
For personal reasons, I dont want to support a borg and buy a product which mainly markets through them.
Id love to purchase the Jet, but its too tall for me to store where I have space, so Im going with the small grizzley.
Im thinking about getting a grizzley scroll saw for the few times I have need for one, group the two together in one purchase.

Sorry to hear that Allen, thought you might get a break from your NN. Well onto better news the new tool which unit at Grizzly are you thinking of as a sander.?

New tool is a sure way to cheer up.:D:thumb:

the small spindle sander with plastic top, 149? or 159?
and I was looking at the new 16 inch throat scroll saw.

Interesting that has 2 more spindle sizes that the larger combo unit I ended up with - that's cool. Bummer on the space, I enjoy having the tilting top, although its certainly not a deal killer - any spindle sander is better than no spindle sander :D

for me, its a matter of convenience.
I use the drill press with sanding drums and that works out ok in the long run.
The problem is the drill press is heavy, and since I rarely use it, other than to sand, its in a tight spot and if I have to sand a large piece, I have to take down my mitre ramp, move my mortiser, move my table saw, and although Im content with my shop setup now, having a small spindle sander that I can place on the bottom shelf of a work bench and access anytime in an instant, well, thats where I need to be. Its not a real money thing, although nothing makes me happier than getting a bargain on a small machine like this, its mainly a convenience thing.