New to this forum but not woodworking

Jim Rogers

I don't have a formal resume on hand, but I can tell you about myself.
After high school I worked for ten years in my father's furniture factory. I worked with eastern white pine lumber, primarily. This is my background in using wood and lumber. My family closed the business after my father died.
I started a firewood business, and cut wood and sold it, during the summers. And in the winter time; I went to work for an oil heat company driving a truck delivering home heating oil. They asked me to work for them full time; which I did for several years.
I then began a trucking and landscaping business; which I worked during the summers. And I bought a logging truck and started hauling logs to a sawmill during the winter months. At the sawmill, I learned saw milling from an old timer. He taught me how to saw logs to make lumber and timbers.
In 1994 I bought a portable sawmill, and stopped the landscaping business.
While operating the sawmill people would ask me to saw timbers for them for their barn projects.
Then one customer asked me how big a "summer beam" should be. Well, I didn't know what a summer beam was let alone how big it should be.
I called a local timber framer that I knew and asked him how I could learn about timber framing. Since then he has been an advisor to me, as well as a good friend. He suggested that I get a couple of books on timber framing and to read up on the subject.
One book was put out by the fellow in Maine that owns and operates a timber framing school. And in 2000, I went to his school and took a timber framing course. Later that year I joined the Timber Framers Guild and got involved in a barn project in Massachusetts. There I operated a sawmill cutting timber for this barn. I worked with the guild instructors learning how to cut joints. And I attended the raising where we put the barn together in one day.
Shortly after that I took a week long course with Jack Sobon and Dave Carlon learning square rule timber framing using traditional hand tools (no power tools). And Jack Sobon and Dave Carlon have been friends and advisors ever since.
I have attended every eastern conference of the timber framer’s guild since 2002. I am a member of the engineering council of the guild.
I was a presenter at the last Eastern conference in Oct of 2007.
And I have had an article published in the guild's magazine "Timber Framing.”
I have attended Heartwood School, in western MA, taking a one week course in joinery decisions and timber frame engineering.
I have attended many engineering workshops held by the guild as pre conference workshops.
I have attended many guild workshops of various subjects.
I have attended as many guild raisings as possible since 2002.
I have read many books on timber frame design and construction.
In December 2002, I began teaching basic timber framing here at my sawmill yard and workshop. Since then we have completed three full frames. Two of these frames have been sold and enclosed at the customer's location. One frame is here for sale, at this time. We just finished an addition for another frame that was shipped to Texas. So far since these instructional workshops began, here at the sawmill yard, 42 students have attended.
Also, I have taught a one week course in Texas to beginner timber framing students, of all ages.
I have taught a one week course in Mississippi to beginner timber framing students.
As mentioned above I am a member of the Timber Framers Guild, and a member of the Timber Framers Guild Engineering Council, a sub group of the guild.
I am the moderator of the timber framing section of the Forestry Forum at www.forestryforum.com
I am currently and have been for several years teaching and consulting at the Winthrop High School's after school program, at Winthrop, MA. We have cut the joints for a structure to be used as a museum. The theme is a Viking long house, as the school mascot is the Viking. This frame will be raised soon.
The cad program that I use to draw timber frames is Dietrichs 3D-CAD/CAM for Wood Building. I have been using this software since 2002. I have been with the North American distributor as a demonstrator, salesman, and instructor. And I am the User Group organizer for the North American distributor software company. I teach how to use the software to draw timber frame structures.
Jim Rogers Sawmill began operation on February 2, 1994 at 117-R Jewett Street, Georgetown, MA.
Jim Rogers Timber Designs began on December 1, 2004 as a part time business at the same location.
Since the Timber Design business began, I have drawn many frames for clients. Six (that I know of) have been erected, two in Texas and three in Massachusetts. One in WV, and two are in progress.

I have just made arrangements with a fellow in VT who wants to host timber framing workshops for beginners of all ages.

Please see my post in the Commercial posting zone about this workshop.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post about me.

Jim Rogers

Thanks for all your comments and welcomes.

I do have lots of pictures, of lots of things.

Recently we erected a small timber frame shed, and the client's son did a time lapse movie of the event. It is on YouTube.

If you want to see it here is the link:

http://youtu.be/BLmsS5FptdY

Also, I have posted some YouTube videos and I do have a series of videos about timber framing layout tools on my website.

My partner and I restore and sell Vintage Tools to timber framers but some of you may also use these tools in your woodworking projects.

Sorry, that kind of sounds like advertising. But anyway.

Nice site, hope to meet up with some of you face to face anytime.

Jim Rogers

Welcome Jim !!!!

We are not too far away.
Although I've never been involved with it timber framing as always interested me I'd love to see your operation sometime.

Bob:
You can call and make an appointment if you want to stop by when you're in my area, if you wish.

There is nothing fancy here, just a yard full of logs, a sawmill, and some lumber laying around. Oh, yea and a timber frame shed waiting to be sold.....

There I go again, sounds like advertising.....I've got to get off that kick for sure......:D :wave:

Jim Rogers

If you want to see it here is the link:

http://youtu.be/BLmsS5FptdY

Jim Rogers

Jim, we have to have a little talk here. Please don't give my husband, Brent, any ideas. I already agreed to letting him get a tractor soon, but I was not figuring a crane was also in my future :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Let's just let him do it the old fashioned way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6qX1u8hoyQ

He's off fishing in Wisconsin this weekend, so let's just let this thread die and he'll never see it... agree? :hide:

Thanks again for all the welcomes.

We use a thing called a "gin pole" to lift heavy timbers up and set them on top of posts, plates and other structures.

1n-DSCF2051.JPG

It makes light work of heavy objects and it is somewhat safe to use. As long as you understand how to use it, and use it properly.

Jim Rogers