How would you fix this?

A friend at work asked me if I could repair some damage to his daughters bed. His mother gave it to her as a gift when she was little. I'm 99% sure it's maple. How would you make this repair?

Attachments

• bullet bed 005 (Custom).JPG
    bullet bed 005 (Custom).JPG
    109 KB · Views: 123
  • bullet bed 006 (Custom).JPG
    bullet bed 006 (Custom).JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 118
  • bullet bed 007 (Custom).JPG
    bullet bed 007 (Custom).JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 111
  • bullet bed 008 (Custom).JPG
    bullet bed 008 (Custom).JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 116
your best bet will be to cut in some sort of "dutchman" albeit a very large dutchman. Splice it in such a way as to be as inconspicuous as possible then match the finish.

This might seem a bit off the wall, but here goes: How about making a cross cut just above the damaged area to a depth equal to the depth of the damage. Remove the remainder of the wood down past the damage with a dado blade on the table saw or with a band saw. Cut a new piece of material to match the area and glue it up. Make a "detail" groove where the new piece meets the old. Next, make a matching detail groove on the other leg, so the repair is less apparent. Matching the finish should be straight forward.

Don't forget to put the 2 steel rods back in to hold the side frame.:eek:
I think that I would use a router to square up the top and rout down to the lowest part of the break then splice in a matching piece. :dunno:

... I think that I would use a router to square up the top and rout down to the lowest part of the break ...
Bob, that's a much better idea than mine for material removal. All it would take is clamping boards to each side of the leg to act as rails for a router base, then make passes with a straight bit until the area is level.

A friend at work asked me if I could repair some damage to his daughters bed. His mother gave it to her as a gift when she was little. I'm 99% sure it's maple. How would you make this repair?

if i were doing it...... a large patch as possible but w/o thr cut line to hide or disguise the patch. the patch shows character, the disguise suggests you are hiding something... imho

one finger typing, please forgive errors.

Holy cow, crossbred critters!!! That's what happens when the bed bugs cross with the termites!!!!!!!:eek::eek::doh::rofl::rofl::thumb:

Remove, level, square and create an area for a patch. Do this to all four legs. Install walnut or some other contrasting wood as a patch. Got to have some bling on this bed!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

With out seeing it live in person it appears that one could set up the table saw and slice the damage off. It looks like the break is out past any of the turning so one would not have to mess with that part.Than laminate a new board on shape to fit and finish. :thumb:

Well, I got it fixed except for a little sanding on the bottom. I used a straight bit on my plunge router to cut out the damage and square up the leg. I then cut a piece of maple and made a patch to fit the cut area. Here's a couple of pictures showing the process. I'm leaving the staining up to him.

Attachments

• fixed bed leg 001 (Custom).JPG
    fixed bed leg 001 (Custom).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 45
  • fixed bed leg 002 (Custom).JPG
    fixed bed leg 002 (Custom).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 43
  • fixed bed leg 003 (Custom).JPG
    fixed bed leg 003 (Custom).JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 42
  • fixed bed leg 006 (Custom).JPG
    fixed bed leg 006 (Custom).JPG