Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning Question....

Turning Question....

I am going to make a chess set for my Brother in law....he has been battling lung cancer, the VA, the bad housing market....you name it...it fell on him this year. Luckily his health is getting better after chemo and for Xmas I want to surprise him with a custom chess set.

I am going to make a copy of this board...and it is pretty straight forward.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._chess_set.jpg

The issue I am having are in the pieces themselves....I do not own a duplicator and I am having a heck of a time making all of the pieces to be exact......

My question is are there special lathe tools for the really delicate work...do you use patterns....are they negative or positive patterns....help!

I really want to blow him away this xmas. He is retired Coast guard and Vietnam Vet and disabled....and if anyone on this planet deserves a good Xmas this year it is this guy.
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

That is truly a magnificent goal to produce something of enduring beauty for someone you love.

I could not begin to turn a set of chess pieces without a pattern. I recommend making full size negative templates of each piece to first mark all major cuts and details and then use the template to ensure your turning remains close to the design.

As far as making them absolutely identical, I doubt even the very best turner in the world can make them perfectly identical. Just get them as close as you can and the love you will have imbued each piece with because of your effort will take care of the rest.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

That's a really thoughtful and caring project Dom Next time you see him give him a big thanks for his service from the Gibson family.

Wish I could help with your question though.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stafford View Post
    ...Just get them as close as you can and the love you will have imbued each piece with because of your effort will take care of the rest.
    I think Mike pretty much summed it up. Having patterns will get you close, and with repetition they will get better, but "matching" can be a relative term.

And a bigtime tip o' the hat from me to your brother in law for his service, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the kind words guys. Maybe I am taking what I read in books a little too literal.

I will send all of your best wishes and thoughts

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

Give him a salute from another Viet Nam vet. I wouldn't worry to much about exact duplicates. I have a mentor and friend who has turned for 60 yrs and he told me don't worry about pieces not being exact. You are human and they are hand made. As Mike said the love you pour into making these and the thought that goes into these will mean a lot.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice gesture on your part.

If your goal is to duplicate them perfectly then you might as well buy something that was produced in a factory.

I think working with templates will get you pretty close to perfection though.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

When I made a chess set for my son, I thought about humanity. There are very few people that look exactly alike. So, keep them close, and you accomplish two things.

1. People will know that they were made individually, and NOT on a production site.

2. People will also know the LOVE you put into making the set.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

"Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Thanks for all of the good advice folks.....I see what you mean about the identical issue. Very good advice.

Bart thanks for the link. I am reading it and learning as we speak!!