Square that excepts credit cards

Ken, I don't use it, yet. I will be upgrading my phone before the end of the year and will be getting the device for sure. I know several people that use it and say it works great!

Yup, works good. My wife even used it at our garage sale a few weeks back for some of the larger items.

You'll need to set it up to deposit to a bank account. I have free checking account that I strictly use for internet purchases/transactions that is tied to the square account.

Last edited:
The company has recently changed name to SquareUp. My wife, son and several friends all use it and we have yet to find the catch. The rates are very low and the device is free. The only issue I have seen so far is it is tied to one phone so it really does not work for a retail business with multiple users. Lots of food trucks do use it but it requires a lot of trust of the employees.

I see a lot of chatter about this on other forums, specifically IAP... but from a lot of the chatter, it seems like extra work involved... I may be wrong (not unusual for me), but seems that you don't get a receipt to give the customer, you still have to keep track of the sale items, you send a receipt to the customer via email, then you still have to do the accounting and banking... really sounds like extra work to me... plus I don't carry a cell, and a number of shows that I do, there's little service or my wife's service doesn't work (she carries a cell because her son gets an extra phone on his service and gives one to his mother).... I still use the old knuckle buster, I can write the items sold on the receipt, I have a copy to give the customer, don't need to track their email address for the receipt, then I enter the sales into my service at night (I use propay), wait a day until the funds are available, transfer to my account and I'm done... for a Saturday show I have funds in my bank account on Tuesday.

The one drawback I see on my system, I don't know if the card is bogus or over limit until I enter it in Propay... in the two years I've been doing CC's and all the years I've been doing shows, I have never had either a bogus/bad credit card or a bad check. (Hope I don't jinx myself with that statement)

And truth is, I rarely do more than 5 or 6 credit cards at any given show...

SquareUp does send a receipt to the customers email or phone and the interest rate is lower than any other processor that I have seen.

If you want a complete system there is one available from QuickBooks, it also uses the phone but automatically uploads all of your inventory items from QuickBooks to your phone. Lets you sell wholesale or retail and deals with sales tax, inventory update, includes item photos on the receipt and almost everything necessary to operate a serious business. I think the device is free or very inexpensive but QuickBooks is several $100 and you need to input all the data into QuickBooks before you start selling (this can be done on the phone). The card transaction charges are among the highest out there. I do know people that use this and are extremely happy but they do about $1 million per year in gross sales.

I meant to post this a couple weeks ago, but I got an acct with squareup and used it at a craft show my dad and I did a few weeks ago. It worked perfect and I'd say 75% of the vendors there had one. Many used it on an iPad that was set up like a cash register...tracked there cash and check sales as well. I would have lost out on about 1/4 of our sales if I didn't have it, so I'm sold for sure!