Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Bell

Christmas Bell

Well my grandson and granddaughter saw a bell made by a friend of mine Curt Fuller and thought they would like to have one. So found some scrap 3/4" thick by 3" wide cherry and a scrap piece of 1/8" purple heart. I sandwiched the purple heart between two 14" pieces of cherry. I made my cuts at 30 degrees like a pie wedge. The six pieces are glued 1/2 or 3 pieces at a time. Then the halves are glued. Once dry then turn the bell. Used a 4" belt sander to make sure I had a tight fit when gluing the halves together. Not as good as Curt's but I am satisfied with it. The cutting has to be pretty precise. I have a half dozen more glued up and will pick the best for them. Hopefully my glue joints will be a little better on the next batch. It is sanded to 320 grit and finished with 7 light coats of GF Woodturners finish. It took about 45 minutes to apply the 7 coats. I cheated and used a hair dryer which each coat took about 5 minutes or so applied with a piece of old T-shirt. Turned this morning and finish on by lunch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cherry purpleheart Bell 1.jpg   Cherry purpleheart Bell 2.jpg  
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Bernie i seen Curts and yours does him justice. good jod man.

That looks great, Bernie.

I would like to share a finishing technique I just learned from a friend for small items like your bell or globe ornaments.

He uses triple thick Krylon Clear Glaze and sprays on 10-15 coats with the piece hanging in a dust free environment.

After 24 hours he lightly sands the lacquered finish with 800 or 1200 grit. Then he uses Nu Finish Clear Coat Scratch Remover to remove all the scratches by rubbing on a coat and rubbing it off with a paper towel.

Then he uses Nu Finish Once a Year Car Polish as a top coat. Rub on a coat, allow to dry and buff off with a soft cloth.

It is a remarkable finish and as the old commercial used to say, "I can see myself" when you get done.

He uses it on all his hollow globe ornaments and it really puts a shine on it.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

That's a fine looking bell, Bernie!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Great looking bell Bernie!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

Thanks everyone.

Mike that finish technique sounds interesting. I will see about giving that a try. People around here like shiney. I can't hardly sell a matte, satin, or semi-gloss finished item.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Be interested in some pics of the process Bernie. looks like a fun project.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Bernie,

I like your bell.

The junction lines you are concerned about won't be seen if the bell is hanging on a tree or in a window. If it will get a lot of "up close" viewing, a very small, "V" type groove down each seam will make the glue joint disappear. DAMHIKT.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Nicely done, Bernie. I may have to try something like that. Curt makes it look easy, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Lovely looking bell Bernie your grandchildren will be pleased with it
    "Every day's a school day"