Christmas Bell

Well my grandson and granddaughter saw a bell made by a friend of mine Curt Fuller and thought they would like to have one. So found some scrap 3/4" thick by 3" wide cherry and a scrap piece of 1/8" purple heart. I sandwiched the purple heart between two 14" pieces of cherry. I made my cuts at 30 degrees like a pie wedge. The six pieces are glued 1/2 or 3 pieces at a time. Then the halves are glued. Once dry then turn the bell. Used a 4" belt sander to make sure I had a tight fit when gluing the halves together. Not as good as Curt's but I am satisfied with it. The cutting has to be pretty precise. I have a half dozen more glued up and will pick the best for them. Hopefully my glue joints will be a little better on the next batch. It is sanded to 320 grit and finished with 7 light coats of GF Woodturners finish. It took about 45 minutes to apply the 7 coats. I cheated and used a hair dryer which each coat took about 5 minutes or so applied with a piece of old T-shirt. Turned this morning and finish on by lunch.

Attachments

• Cherry purpleheart Bell 1.jpg
    Cherry purpleheart Bell 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Cherry purpleheart Bell 2.jpg
    Cherry purpleheart Bell 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 62
That looks great, Bernie.

I would like to share a finishing technique I just learned from a friend for small items like your bell or globe ornaments.

He uses triple thick Krylon Clear Glaze and sprays on 10-15 coats with the piece hanging in a dust free environment.

After 24 hours he lightly sands the lacquered finish with 800 or 1200 grit. Then he uses Nu Finish Clear Coat Scratch Remover to remove all the scratches by rubbing on a coat and rubbing it off with a paper towel.

Then he uses Nu Finish Once a Year Car Polish as a top coat. Rub on a coat, allow to dry and buff off with a soft cloth.

It is a remarkable finish and as the old commercial used to say, "I can see myself" when you get done.

He uses it on all his hollow globe ornaments and it really puts a shine on it.

Thanks everyone.

Mike that finish technique sounds interesting. I will see about giving that a try. People around here like shiney. I can't hardly sell a matte, satin, or semi-gloss finished item.

Bernie,

I like your bell.

The junction lines you are concerned about won't be seen if the bell is hanging on a tree or in a window. If it will get a lot of "up close" viewing, a very small, "V" type groove down each seam will make the glue joint disappear. DAMHIKT.

Enjoy,

JimB

Thanks to all. Yep Vaughn he sure does make it look easy. I have found a few things I did wrong but all in all pretty fun project.

Drew I will see about getting some pictures today.

Drew here are some picutres of the process. Sorry I didn't take more but should give you the idea. I use at least 12" long no shorter cause I don't like my fingers close to the blade when cutting. So 2 pieces 3/4" X 3" X 12". I use 1/8" thick wood to sandwich inbetween the two pieces. Once glued, clamped and dried I use my sliding compound mitre saw to cut the pieces at 30* angles. With each cut you flip the wood 180* to cut the next 30*. Once you have 6 pieces cut and they have to be pretty accurate cuts I then glue the pieces together 3 at a time so I have 2 halves. Once those are dry I use my 4 X 36 belt sander to make sure that joint is flat, fits tight and is pretty spot on. I then turn it round after it dries putting a tenon on the top end. I turn the bell and once it is shaped I use blue painters tape to tape the edge of the bell. I reverse it in the chuck with really light pressure with the tailstock up. I finish the top with light cuts and drill for the handle about 1/8" or so deep. Turn the handle of your choice, glue and put the finish of your choice on. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Bell Process 1.jpg
    Bell Process 1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Bell Process 2.jpg
    Bell Process 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Bell Process 3.jpg
    Bell Process 3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Bell Process 4.jpg
    Bell Process 4.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 19
  • Bell 8.jpg
    Bell 8.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Bell 10.jpg
    Bell 10.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 21
That is beautiful.
I have tried turning bells for my bell collector wife.
I can't seem to get the shape right. (it is probably a left brain/right brain thing and I don't seem to have either)
But, when done she usually says, "What is it?" :( Oh, well.