Taming the skew ??

Drew Watson

I picked up a new P&N ( no handle) 1 inch skew chisel for the lathe the other day and of course the angle is off so i set about sharpening it to the 70 degree angle ( what a chore in itself) I have realised that I am not getting exactly what I want in the way of the angle and am resigned to get the attachment for my wolverine jig tomorrow. I am hell bent and determined to tame this beast they call the skew. Any tips and pointers or good material to read/download from anyone here? :thumb:

Most lathe tools seem to work best at the center line or a hair above. For my students, the first flirtation with a skew I keep them above the 2/3rds mark (if that makes sense). Being above center, actually pretty high, makes it less likely to catch and lets you learn some manuevers (sp?) without being a "scardy cat". Oh, sharp, sharp skew, light, light cuts.

Thanks for the input guys I have some books from Richard and Mike that I use to refresh myself as I have not used the skew much since back in high school. I was pretty good back then but now 32 yrs later I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I am getting catches when trying to turn a right hand side of a bead. Left doesn't seem to be a problem, but the right I always seem to get a catch. The new chisel is larger than I am use to and sharp as the catches go in pretty hard.

I do not have the wolverine system but I did take an opportunity to look at the skew attachment.
Do you have the flat (table?) attachment? If so here is a quick and cheap jig. Take a small piece of ¼” plywood about 1.5X the length of the table and about ¼” wider.
Move the table a little ways from the grinding wheel. Take a popsicle stick and CA it along one long edge of your plywood. This will lap over the top edge of the table. Take two popsicle sticks and set them at your 70* angle on the top of the ply.
You now have your jig. Set the table to the angle (bevel) you want, place the skew against one guide and grind across sliding the ply jig on your metal table. Flip your skew over to the other side and do the same.
If you have a curved end skew this will not work, guess I should have said that to start with.
1+ on what Jonathan said. I set my rest higher (about 10:30) and cut about 11:30. With a large diameter spindle you may not be able to cut that high due to tool overhang. And 1+ on the sharp, sharp; you can’t get that from the grinder.
If you can’t shave your arm it ain’t sharp. I probably hone 50+ times before going back to the grinder.

I suggest Alan Lacer’s "The Skew – The Dark Side – The Sweet Side"

Attachments

• skew table.JPG
    skew table.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 23
Also with this new lathe the speeds are all digital and i am still getting use to how fast to set it for the work and the tools and maybe that is part of the problem. I am running the lathe around 1200 - 1500 and maybe I should be running it faster. :dunno:

Thanks Mike I will check out that book. :thumb: I have had the slight angle on my smaller skew that works pretty good but still the catches on the same side. Thought the bigger new skew would help fix this problem.

Last edited:
The skew is the one lathe tool that still gives me fits. I know it's simply a matter of not having practiced it enough. I try to use it when it's practical, and things will go great with it for a while, but I always seem to get a catch at the worst possible time. Like I said...I just need more practice. :doh:

I had trouble with the skew at first, then I read in the book >> Woodturning a Foundation Course by Keith Rowely << that helped a lot with set up and stance etc, also with a sharp skew to turn the power off and on a nice straight spindle to turn the lathe by hand while applying the skew with the other hand to see how it cut, this really helped for me.

Once I got onto the skew and figured it out, it is one of my go to tools, that and the Bedan :D

PS I have the exact same large skew that you do Drew, I put a straight and curved edge on it, I very much like it:thumb:

Drew,

Bernie Weishapl and I are two of those who love the skew but it took time.

Buy or borrow Alan Lacer's video "The Skew Chisel - The Dark Side - The Sweet Side". It is extremely well done.

Two major points.....sharp....sharp....sharp.....I grind occasionally and diamond hone often.

2nd....ride the bevel.....

I spent several weekends wasting wood and watching Alan's video. Once you get the skills, it can become one of your favorite tools. It will leave a surface that any sanding will degrade.

While I have the Wolverine skew tool, I seldom use it. Once in a while I'll use it to reset the angle on my flat skew but most of the time I'm using my Lacer skews and thus have to freehand sharpen.

If you are using a regular rectangular skew, consider rounding over the corners on the short point or heel side. It allows the skew to slide on the tool rest rather than catching and digging into the tool rest. It also allows the tool to roll easier for making beads.

Get Alan Lacer's video. Unbelieveable wealth of knowledge.

Thanks Ken I will get the video as I need to see it done. Yes the chisel has the rounded side ( or I would have done that myself) the riding the bevel is the part I was missing and the angle has to be tweeked some more till I get it where I want it. I do use the diamond stone to get it sharp but it is just getting it set up that is the challenge now. also practice, practice, practice.

Ditto what Ken said. I practiced with that skew until I had wasted I think a 8 ft 2 X 4 because if you can use it on that you can use it on anything. Alan Lacer's DVD doesn't get any better explaining the tool. When making ornaments, pens or mini birdhouses I don't even sand. Don't need to. I also hone mine after grinding scarey sharp so it will shave hair. I have 7 skews from a 1/4" round to Lacer's big 1 3/8" one. Practice, practice, practice and then more practice.