Pine - rustic finish

Doug DeVore

Hey all,

I've got a pine mantel I've built for a fireplace and would like to preserve the rustic colors of the wood (blue staining & other discolors) and not end up with a glossy finish on it. Can someone suggest a finish I should use? I am going to guess some type of clear, but what kind? Poly is fine, but in my opinion that usually leaves a gloss finish. If at all possible, I prefer a wipe on type of finish as I am pretty new to finishes. Maybe I am asking for to much? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

... Poly is fine, but in my opinion that usually leaves a gloss finish. If at all possible, I prefer a wipe on type of finish as I am pretty new to finishes. Maybe I am asking for to much? Suggestions? ...
Doug,

If you want to use polyurethane for the protection it offers, you can apply clear gloss, let it cure, then rub it out with pumice and/or rottenstone to achieve the desired sheen.

Generally, I spray clear gloss lacquer. Then I rub it out with "FF" pumice to smooth it, which gives it a satin sheen. If I want more of a semi-gloss, I go back over it with rottenstone. It's easier than it may sound! ;)

for what your asking, i think you could put on wipe on poly and use a satin sheen of it..then rub as bill suggests,, at least 3 coats before rubbing it out and after its dry.

for what your asking, i think you could put on wipe on poly and use a satin sheen of it..then rub as bill suggests,, at least 3 coats before rubbing it out and after its dry.

That's one way to get a satin sheen, for sure. I prefer to build layers of finish with clear gloss for visual depth. Then, by rubbing out the top coat you get the sheen you want and still maintain the visual depth beneath it.

Different strokes! :D