Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SketchUp Tutorial

SketchUp Tutorial

For the one or two SketchUp users here, I thought this might be useful info if you haven't seen it already. It's on inserting components into a SketchUp model. I used the method to insert the drawer pulls on this drawing table I've been flogging and I use it any time I need to insert hardware such as screws, hinges, latches and so on into a project.

By the way, does anyone have any interest in how I create the soft shadows from multiple lights sources for my SketchUp models? Would that be worth a tutorial?
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 11-14-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

I find it ironic, nay hilarious, that you are using sketchup - a computer drafting/drawing tool - to flog a drafting table.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Great tutorial, Dave. Thanks for putting it together. I need to walk though the steps a time or two to learn them better, but it helps solve a problem I've always had in placing components.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    ...By the way, does anyone have any interest in how I create the soft shadows from multiple lights sources for my SketchUp models? Would that be worth a tutorial?
    Personally, that's a few notches above my current skill level. I'm still wrestling with things like component placement (hopefully not much longer, thanks to your tutorial), but there may be others here who could put some shadow tricks to good use.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That was a good one. I knew some of the fussy little problems I was having resulted from "creation point" parameters and now I know what it is. Thanks much Dave, as usual. I primarily us SkecthUp for working out the aesthetics of a design idea I have. I then also use it for quick 'what if' and dimensioning tasks. As such I don't use shadows much but, I still find it fascinating to learn how you do things like that.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Can't wait to get into it. Thanks Dave
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Thank you all.

Art, one of my editors also found it ironic when I pitched the idea of a drafting table to them. I suppose it is but it worked for the guy who commissioned it. i kind of think it's funny, too.

Vaughn, after a little practice it should make sense. If you have any trouble though, drop me a note.

Glenn, I suspect most folks use SketchUp the same way you do. That's perfect. In the blog post I wrote before the one on placing components, I mentioned drawing only what you need to get the job done. It's easy for some folks to want to draw all the details just because they can. At the end of the day, though, it's still just a bunch of 1s and 0s in a computer. You have to get out to the shop and start cutting up real wood.

That said, sometimes adding some details like the shadows can help communicate to others if you need to do so. It can also help you see how parts will work together. Those shadows can be design elements. I've seen some things that looked good except when the light cast shadows that overwhelmed the piece.

Bob, is it the component thing or the shadow thing you're looking forward to? In any case, you're welcome.

Dave, actually it's the whole 9 yards. I've downloaded but haven't got past first base yet. I used to do fairly well years ago on a simple Cad program, can't remember the name. Just gotta jump in and get going on it I guess.

I went to school for mechanical engineering (quit after I realized you needed to know math and couldn't party 24/7 if you wanted to pass) so I'm more comfortable around a drafting board than a computer.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Bob, if you want a hand, let me know and we'll work out something. We can surely get you going.

Thanks Dave, Hopefully I'll get to it real soon
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Like some of the others said, I've downloaded Sketchup and gone through some of the tutorials but I've barely scratched the surface. My problem is being real familiar with a software product I learned many years ago that we used for flow charts and system diagrams - Visio. It's 2D, but I can draw something in top, front and side views and "see" the result. I know if I would take the time to learn Sketchup I would only have to draw a single element once rather than three times (or more), but..........
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station