Shaker oval tray

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
While at the Pleasant Hill Shaker village a few weeks ago, my wife saw a condiment tray that she liked, so I decided I'd make her one.

This on has a cherry oval and handle, with a quilted maple bottom. It's put together in the traditional way, with copper tacks in the tongues of the band, and wood pegs holding the band to the bottom, and the handle to the band. The bottom is dyed with TransTint medium brown, and the cherry is natural. Finish is pre-cat water-based lacquer. Came out pretty nice, I think.

Attachments

• DSCN0807 [800x600].jpg
    DSCN0807 [800x600].jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN0808 [800x600].jpg
    DSCN0808 [800x600].jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN0809 [800x600].jpg
    DSCN0809 [800x600].jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 46
Jim that is a beautiful piece. I hope you and Mrs. DeLaney had a great time at Pleasant Hill. I really like how they have restored and opened the place for visitors. The quilted maple is stunning. How thick is the bottom? Is this your first Shaker oval work?

Jim that is a beautiful piece. I hope you and Mrs. DeLaney had a great time at Pleasant Hill. I really like how they have restored and opened the place for visitors. The quilted maple is stunning. How thick is the bottom? Is this your first Shaker oval work?

We had a great time. Spent a whole day there, and then went to Berea (Kentucky Craft Center) the next day. All in all, a really nice trip. While at Pleasant Hill, I took over a hundred pictures of the woodworks - everything from furniture to boxes, to ox yokes. I plan on posting a bunch of them once I've gotten them appropriately re-sized.

On the tray: The bottom is about 3/8" thick, resawn from an 8/4 piece. I made up two bands, so I need to saw off another slice for the second tray. I'll make the next one with a steam bent handle going laterally - more of a basket than a tray, I guess.

I hadn't made any oval stuff for a couple years, but overall, I guess I've made about a dozen boxes, sized #0 thru about #4. Might make a few more over the coming winter...

...spray the dye or brush it on? water solvent or alcohol?

Sprayed on, water based. Sand the maple to 220; wet it to raise the grain; sand again to 220; spray on the dye.

I really like using the dyes on quilted maple. A bright red, or blue makes for a spectacular effect - but for Shaker, that just wouldn't do - hence the brown. :D