Well......today I became a cyborg......

S Go to youtube and search cochlear implant surgery. Be prepared..it was a little more complex than my wife and I was expecting.

Glad to hear you finally got the implant, I know you've been waiting on it for a long time. I hope that it works well for you.

As for the video... No thanks. In my experience, I find that I never want to watch videos of surgery. No way, no how, not me! :scram:

Congratulations. I have a fairly severe hearing loss - not as bad as yours - and the doc wanted to do a different implant on me (Esteem). So far, I've resisted for a number of reasons.

I hope the CI works well for you. Keep us informed as things progress.

I wish the very best of luck to you in November and in the months that follow. No matter what, remember that we're here for you, only a "typing" away.

Mike

Congrats Ken. All the best with your efforts. Just tell the wood in your shop that "Resistance is Futile" "You will be assimilated" ;-)

I'm sure you will conquer this newest challenge Ken!:thumb:

I was amazed how LOUD running tap water was when I first started wearing hearing aids due to a 90% loss of the high frequency range. It now sounds "normal" but it caused me to jump for weeks!!:eek:

Once activated, will your implants be on 365/24/7 or a few hours a day with a gradual build-up over time? Any potential balance/equilibrium issues?

Mike,

The Esteem is a good solution for those who suffer middle ear damage. Ci's are a good solution for those who suffer inner ear damage. Esteem requires a normally function cochlea. My cochlear was no longer funtioning so Esteem wouldnt have helped my situation.

Barry....CIs are similar to hearing aids in that most people remove the exterior sound processor at night when they go to bed. The exterior sound processor looks similar to a hearing aid except it has a cable and an antenna that goes sticks to the imbedded antenna/processor under the scalp.

The first few weeks after activation, I will have to visit the audiologist weekly where she will "remap" the CI. The electrodes on the cable of the implant are inserted into the cochlea and make contact with the auditory nerves. Over time, the nerves become accustomed to the level at stimulation and the CIs gain for each of the eletrodes has to be adjust as well as the input dynamic range has to be adusted too. Its a little like the new hearing aids but a little more complex. Initially each week I will drive to Spokane for this...after 2-3 months it will be a monthly visit..then semi-annual....then eventually an annual visit. Each electrode excites a certain area of the auditory nerve corresponding to a certain frequency. The gains and IDR is adjusted for each electrode independently.

I lost 84% of the hearing my right ear 12 years ago. Then last July my left ear died. Normally they would implant the ear with residual hearing but in my case, since it's been 12 years since the right ear had normal hearing, the surgeon elected to implant the left ear. That was a good decision as far as I am concerned. 12 years ago they didn't recommend a HA for my right ear due to type of hearing loss I have in it. Everything I hear in my right ear is distorted. Then last year after my left ear died, they decided a HA on my right ear would help some and it does. So by implanting my left ear, I didn't have to worry because...it's dead anyway and I could retain the little hearing I have in my right ear. The surgeon does feel however I will eventually loose it too. It was a tough decision but let me tell you being deaf is no cake walk either.

Thanks guys for the well wishes.....I am sure things will get much better......one day I hope to hear some more Hugo Montenegro....some Beatles.......some Rocky Top......and my grandkids....say "PawPaw Cyborg?"...

On a lighter note......in March 2010 my wife was in Houston babysitting our newborn twin granddaughters so Mommy and our dental student son could get some rest. She told me we need a "get away vacation" and to go ahead and plan it and make the reservations.

My father chased oil rigs for a living and I grew up in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and southern Illinois. I had always wanted to revisit Kemmerer, Wy where I lived for 1 year as a kid and my wife wanted to revisit Bend, OR where we lived for 20 months and bought our first home. I made the reservations in March then in July I went deaf. I didn't get a hearing aid for my right ear until Septemeber and the vacation was in August so we decided to got anyway.

I was just beginning to learn to read lips so Sharon would shout really loud...soemtimes having to repeat herself for me to understand...while on this vacation...

I don't watch much television but one of my favorite movies is "Jeremiah Johnson". While on this vacation..I remembered the scene after he'd been forced into marrying the indian maiden and their first camp... While driving with my wife I said "Me big hunter? Yes?"......she laughed remembering the scene and replied "Yes"!.....I responded "Me fine figure of a man....Yes?".....She replied "Yes".......where upon I replied "Good....that's all you need to know!"

Last edited:
Ken I sure hope this works out well for you.. Some what vested interest as I see my hearing fading. Looking forward to great resukts in November and beyond. Glad to hear the HA helped some, any changes in your vertigo status?

Garry

Garry,

The vertigo today has been almost eliminated. Since the surgeon actually inserts a cable with electrodes into the cochlea during the procedure,it's understandable and normal to have some vertigo problems. Today, while I have some mild imbalance problems, it has been nothing compared to what I suffered on Friday.

I have had chronic vertigo problems for over 7 years and take a daily diuretic (water) pill for it. This obviously didn't help with the surgeon's operating on this liquid filled system this time.

Today I am doing well. I hope in a another day or two to get back to my daily walking regimen.

Sadly, he advised no woodworking until he takes the stitches out on the 28th.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that things are settling in for you Ken. So with these new implants how are they effected by water, like in heavy rain or a shower? Do you have to disconnect them? How long do the batteries last? Are they easy to replace ? Sorry for all the questions.

Drew,

With respet to cochlear implants, the internal implanted processor uses no batteries. It gets its power from the RF signal transmitted through the scalp via the external processor. The external sound processors have batteries that are different physical sizes and thus last different lengths of time. They have adapters that are worn on a belt for example and use standard disposable batteries.

There are several different types of external processors. Some are worn on the ear like a hearing aid and are called BTE (behind the ear)....then there are those that can be worn on a clip to a shirt collar or belt, or such.

Most are extremely water resistant and Advanced Bionics is about to release one that is water proof.

The BTE batteries are extremely expensive, rechargeable but some users have had 7 years of use from them and they are still functioning fine.

The devices are extremely expensive but are covered by insurance and Medicare.The cost can go from $65,000-$90,000.

It is an important enough decision that I would recommend everyone do their own research and decide which one of the 3 FDA approved brands is right for them. Each uses a different method to achieve results. IMHO it's important enough that each individual be convinced they have the best product for them. I may not agree with you.....you may not agree with my selection. That doesn't matter. Even if it is just a placebo effect, it's important that I believe I chose the best one for me and you believe you chose the best one for you. That's what's important. Of course reliability is important too but all 3 of the FDA approved brand products have extremely good reliability records.

It's important to understand the difference between a cochlear implant and the "Esteem" device to which Mike referred. The Esteem device replaces defective bones in the middle ear....the stirrup, anvil and hammer. This type of device relies on the patient having a normally functioning inner ear including a cochlea.

A cochlea implant replaces a defective cochlea. An internally implanted processor has an antenna, a processor with electronics and a cable with electrodes. The processor/antenna are implanted under the skin while the cable with the electrodes are inserted via a small hole into the snail shaped cochlea. Within the antenna/processor is a rare earth magnet.

The external sound processor looks like a hearing aid processes sounds digitizing it and modulating an RF signal with it. The modulated signal goes via a cable to an antenna. This antenna has a rare earth magnet that attachés this antenna to the one under the skin of your scalp. Some of the RF is stripped off and converted to DC voltages to power the internally implanted processor (That's right no battery under your skin). The implanted processor converts the digital sounds to analog excitation currents and stimulates the auditory nerves. This in turn sends electrical stimulations to your brain to be interpreted as sounds.

Pretty complex and somewhat a miracle. And if I am one of the lucky....I'll be happy as one can be. It can take up to 2 years to retrain the brain to recognize these new stimulations as sounds. I am optimistic but I have one foot on the ground realizing that it will take a lot of work on my part and I could fall in that group of less than 1% that CIs don't help. Am I making sense?

Making total sence Ken. Wow that is alot of technology. Thanks for sharing all the info. I am aware that certain aids are for certain people as the ones I use have not worked on friends of mine but they work great for me ( just lucky i guess).

Everyones situation is totally different and i am aware of that. I am only a candidate for the externals at this time as my hearing loss is environmentally caused and hopefully will stop when I get out of the line of work that I do.

This is also one of the reasons that I have started doing more turning as I find the noise level considerably less than with the bigger power tools. Skill saws are the worst thing ever for destroying the hearing. No matter how much hearing protection that you use. Of course I am around the noise all day long and have a shop at home that I am in all the time. So I get more exposure than most.

Like I said before the white noise that we are all expose to daily is amazing to me now that I have the hearing aids. People have becomes so use to it that it doesn't even register anymore. After 2 weeks at 100% level I don't even notice it anymore.

I feel sorry for these kids today driving around with the masive sub woofers in their cars, you know the ones that you hear blocks away and that can rattle the walls of your house when they drive by. They just have no clue.