Quantum Locking....

Sent the link to our physics teacher here in the HS, if he reads it before lunch, I'll get his account of how and why it works and if it will become practical. I watched it with the sound off so don't know any particulars given. Why did it speed up when he ran his finger perpendicular across the track when it was on the circular track?
George Jetson here we come! Tire companies will buy this up and bury it so they don't become obsolete.

OK, now this is very cool......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA

getting your head around how it works is one thing, but you really don't need to know the fine details, now start to think of the applications 5 or 10 years down the road :eek: :rolleyes: :D :thumb:

Very cool...... pun intended!

Suspensor fields to lift and move heavy equipment without hurting people's backs. The same suspensor fields might enable the transport of phenomenally heavy loads without the necessity for special roads and equipment. This technology has been described in science fiction for a number of years.

And you are right, it is definitely cool!

When I read the title, I first thought this had to do with Quantum computing and encryption (Quantum computers could easily break any of today's encryption methods).

This however is cool, but would it really be cost effective to scale up?

Dang it; it is an interesting world and it keeps getting more interesting and in 13 or 14 years I'm going to kick the bucket and miss it all.

Just call me, "Born Thirty Years Too Soon."

Enjoy,

JimB

Jim, I can't begin to imagine all the things you've seen over your lifetime and experience you've had. From ones that you've shared, I can only hope that my life will be as interesting as yours. ;)

Cool but we get back to the issue of energy and loss of it.

The device relies on superconductivity which requires the coldest of temp we know. That at present takes loads of energy to achieve never mind maintain.

The issue becomes how do we get that energy to a moving device.

As they have done it in the video the magnet part that is levitating has been supercooled to achieve the effect and is probably a special material that can accomodate the extremely low temp. But that would not last.

Perhaps in time to come some of the experiments taking place at the Hadron Collider in Switzerland will unmask some new discoveries that will modify our current laws of physics and allow greater strides.

Very cool technology though. Still have to deal with friction of air though.:)

Guys this is very cool, but it is also a first step.

Same basic technology, a barrel, a propellant and a projectile, but they are at least 100 years apart in development.....

Of course technology is advancing at a much higher rate now, so who is to say what this will turn into in the near future, heck if Percy Spencer had not had a chocolate bar in his pocket when he was standing next to his Magnetron powering the radar set he was working on, who knows when we would have got the microwave oven? :dunno: