Maple Leaf Box

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
This is a sort of bandsaw box, made from laminated maple. About 3" high, an 7" across.

Finish is Transtint in red, honey amber, golden brown, and medium brown (diluted), applied and blended with an airbrush, then covered with a couple coats of SealCoat®.

The colors are a bit more vivid than the photos show, and it really does look like Fall leaf color.

Attachments

• DSCN0815 [800x600].jpg
    DSCN0815 [800x600].jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0817 [800x600].jpg
    DSCN0817 [800x600].jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0818 [800x600].jpg
    DSCN0818 [800x600].jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 37
Very clever and very nice!! Can you hear it calling you to carve in some veins and a stem??

Yeah, I thought about doing just that. I did it on an earlier piece - my 'sculpture box' that I posted last month.

I may just sand the top leaf back down and re-dye it (not completely satisfied with it yet), and add the veining then.

Very cool, Jim. :thumb: Great idea for the pattern, and I like the dye job you did on the wood.

I think it would have been kind of a kick to make it out of ash, though, just to mess with peoples' heads. :D

Very very cool Jim. I am particularly fond of the maple leaf. What a great idea for a pattern. :thumb:

In order to avoid staining or dye I have got myself a piece of Paduk and a piece of Bloodwood to cut a maple leaf from. My application is somewhat different and requires that it be solid color all the way through the wood.

I bet your box in one of these woods would look fantastic too.

Man thats a great idea.:thumb: What size blade did you have in your bandsaw to do it.