Sassafrass .. who uses, for what?

I have used it on outdoor projects. Actually used it on a boat for the underside supports for a swim platform. Very rot resistant and I have can never find our I would use it more.

very light weight and used to be used in lower priced furniture alot,,back many years ago.. once it has been finished and colored it can mimic many woods that were higher priced in the day..smells great to work with:)

I have a friend who offers to buy the sass shavings from the planer just for the aroma. When I have them I give them to her. I made some nice display shelves form sass. The lady wanted them mounted on the wall about 6' high around her home office. The golden oak stain made them look pretty nice. She displays part of her Barbie doll collection on them.

Well let's take this completely OT :threadjacked: I remember going to my Great Aunt's and she would make root tea and homemade potato chips. Life was good:threadjacked:

Now back to your regular programming.

The Wife use to make tea bags for her X. He was at one time the only person in the US making and selling them. Sold to Disney and places like that all over. She would set for hours making tea bag out of ground up root. Would go through about 2 30gal barrels a week of ground up root.
The house sure smelled nice back then...........lol

I have used the wood to make longbows for kids. It does have a bit of string follow but will still make a nice bow.

I wonder about those so-called medical studies. One of my good friends is a scientist who specializes in toxins in food and feed. He told me about one study where to consume the equivalent amount of the sweetener (saccharine) given to the the lab rats that developed cancer, I would have to eat 2-3 lbs. and up to 6 lbs. of the stuff each day. :huh:

Not all things can be taken in moderation but many things can. I still will brew a cup of sassafras tea every few years as a indulgence to fond memories of great times spent with my dad and siblings out in the woods. I may even plan a root digging expedition with my own kids sometime so they can have the experience.:D