The dumbest thing I've done in a long time.

Tom Baugues

I came home from work today and went out to my new shop where I'm mounting my electrical boxes and getting ready to run some wire. I got all my boxes mounted. The last one was a box on the ceiling for my lights. Being satisfied with my work I decided to quit for the night and took the wife out for supper. When we arrived back home my mind was still thinking about my project so I decided to go back out to the shop and do some more work. I entered my shop and first noticed that I needed to move my ladder out of the way as I had left it standing in the middle of the shop. I grabbed the ladder and picked it up to move it and WHAM! Things went dark, pain was setting in and bad words were said. I had left my hammer sitting on the top of my ladder and it had now nailed me in the head. :eek: After realizing I was going to live.... I felt pretty stupid. :dunno:
Lesson learned.......put your tools away when your done with a job! :rofl:

Good tip, Tom. :thumb: Could have been worse. You could have been wearing a glass cowboy hat. :p

And you must be pretty good if this was one of the dumbest things you've done in a long time. I do stuff that dumb (and dumber) far more frequently than I'd like to admit.

Been there, done that! It took only a few times for me to realize ti would be much better to take Jim's approach and check the top of the ladder before moving it. I may have survived a few whacks with junk by being hardheaded, but even I learn after a while! :eek:

Brings back memories of being on the jobsite. Used to do that stuff all the time. My neighbor did it with a gallon of oilbased kelly green housepaint... He looked like a leprachan for a week or two!

Yep, I learned that by watching someone else do it, stitches and blood were involved as he got the claw end. Two lessons, that hammer should live either in your hand, or on the hook on your tool belt, ladders should not be left standing, but folded up and laid down on the floor when you are done with them.

Glad the lights came back on for you, human heads are actually pretty tough :D

well tom thanks for letting us know that you really are human, and not some fantasy type person.. that has huge pet fish:) and can cook a mean steak on the grill.. on a more positive side,, its fun to come home to your new shop in progress huh? you probally are thinking about it all day at work too when the time allows it.. i know i did back then.. glad you werent hurt worse:thumb::thumb:

I did the same when I was on a framing crew during college...left a nail gun on top, lots of blood and then stiches later. :doh:

I don't move ladders with hammers left on top. I do it when there are paint roller trays on top.......:eek:

My wife laughed for three months........:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Sometimes she breaks out into laughter for no good reason and I know that is what she is thinking about.:(