Thread: HF Circular Blade Sharpener

Kansas City, Missouri

HF Circular Blade Sharpener

Anyone tried one of these out yet? I've got a bunch of cheaper blades that it might be worth using it on, but as little as I go through blades anymore, not sure it's worth the $50 to me.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I've seen it in their store but had the same thoughts about it as you. Maybe if I was a framer and had a ton of 7 1/4" blades I might consider it.

Been thinking about their chain saw sharpener though.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Reno NV
    My local sharpener is pretty cheap and takes less than a week. As much as I like doing things myself and have a bit of an issue with collecting sharpening gadgets, I think I'll hold off till it gets a rave review...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thomasville, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    ... Been thinking about their chain saw sharpener though.
    I've had one of those for several years. I don't do a lot with a chain saw, but when the blade gets dull it takes only a few minutes to whip it back in shape.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I don't see the logic.

Lousy blades aren't worth owning IMO, which are the only ones I'd risk on a cheap sharpener (catch 22). $50 can buy a very good blade (two in many cases), or would go along way towards a top flight premium $100 blade. Good blades are worth having professionally sharpened....for $15-$20 you gain access to some very precise sharpening tools run by a seasoned veteran. There's no chance I'm risking a good blade on a cheap sharpening tool. Plus, as a hobbyist my blades tend to hold an edge for a very long time if kept clean, so there's no very little benefit for incurring the risk. Even with proper sharpening, a poor quality blade still has low grade softer carbide, questionable tensioning, poor quality steel, and less sophisticated anti-noise/anti-vibration technology, so at best it becomes a "lipstick on a pig scenario", which we all know is a waste of lipstick that annoys the pig!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 10-22-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Got Wood?