Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wholesaling Rolling Pins - Now There's A Thought

Grand Rapids, MI

Wholesaling Rolling Pins - Now There's A Thought

Okay, so last year I started making French rolling pins. After getting a few wholesale orders from retailers I'm seriously thinking about trying to market them more intentionally.

Here's an order I just completed that will be sent to Singapore. 130 rolling pins in hard maple and cherry, two sizes. This order was a good opportunity to refine the production process, and at this point I think I'm ready to run with it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 135 Rolling Pins.JPG

No longer associated with Woodcraft. That's right, I am now a full time woodworker!

Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like a good opportunity. Good luck with that.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Are you turning those individually?
    Nice kick off for a business start up.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean

I have three questions:

1) You have answered this one already. You are getting paid enough to make it worth your while plus pay all expenses.

2) Will your body be able to keep up the pace you need to produce enough to meet the demand.?

3) If this grows are you making enough money to hire employees to do the turning and still make a profit?

And #4: Can you keep a decent set of books? Enough so you know where all money is going so you can adjust expenses by changing shipping methods or some other thing?

Enjoy and LOTS OF LUCK!

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

Goodland, Kansas
    I would jump at it Matt. If you are getting good enough money to make it worth your time why not.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Just like everybody else don't sell yourself short. Prices are only going to go up on wood and supplies so you should make room for it now.

Kansas City, Missouri
    A friend's wife does custom wedding veils for a living, has customers fly in from all over the country to have a custom veil made. Does a lot of business on etsy and ebay. He was telling me watching the sale trends of her business, that there has been a large increase of overseas sales. His assumption was that with the dollar being lower than some other foreign currencies that it was cheaper to buy here an ship over there. An inquiry to several recent overseas customers confirmed that theory.

Glad to see things working out Matt, hope that continues. Take a deep look into your processes and work out the cheapest packing and shipping methods that your customers will agree to. I went through a lot of that with a stained glass lighting business years ago. Funny how an inch here and an ounce there can really affect rates.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Orem, Utah
    That's a switch! I would have expected items like this to be coming the other way! Has Singapore gotten to be even more Hi-Tech than the U.S.? (I know that a LOT of electronics come from there.)

"Handmade in the USA"

That has quite a ring to it!

ABQ NM
    Very cool, Hutch. Sounds like you've made the whole thing challenging (and thus less boring) by working to improve your production methods and output. Best of luck, and may it make you a boatload of money.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan