milling a sugar maple

We cut this sugar maple up today and got around 300 bd/ft. The log was 9 ft. long with a 32 - 34 inch diameter. The tree was around 150 years old. A lady I work with gave me the log this summer. I'll make her something when the wood is dry. This is the butt log from the crotch I cut earlier.

Attachments

• hard maple 001 (Custom).JPG
    hard maple 001 (Custom).JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 76
  • hard maple 004 (Custom).JPG
    hard maple 004 (Custom).JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 74
  • hard maple 005 (Custom).JPG
    hard maple 005 (Custom).JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 84
  • hard maple 007 (Custom).JPG
    hard maple 007 (Custom).JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 77
thats gonna be some nice wide boards.
I never knew its called sugar maple, I have quite alot of it.
It has a variety of colors in it, greys, browns, reds.
I dont have any boards that width. Nice stuff.

Looks like you're having a lot of fun with the new mill, and getting some great lumber out of it, too. Those 24" wide maple boards are like an instant tabletop. :thumb:

With what I'm paying for Maple here in Japan, if I had the space (again expensive!) I'd get a mill and start bugging the arborists for logs!

Nice looking wood, is the pith all punky?

Should make some nice boards!

Looks like you're having a lot of fun with the new mill, and getting some great lumber out of it, too. Those 24" wide maple boards are like an instant tabletop. :thumb:

I am having a great time.:thumb: It's a lot of work, but that's fine and I enjoy it! It's great mental health work too!

Every log is like a Christmas present.

To quote Forrest Gump, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.":D

With what I'm paying for Maple here in Japan, if I had the space (again expensive!) I'd get a mill and start bugging the arborists for logs!

Nice looking wood, is the pith all punky?

Should make some nice boards!

With the hollow in the bottom of the log I tried to cut around it. The last few I cut were 8/4 by 9" wide. The last one did get some punky stuff in about the last couple of feet that I'll use the chainsaw to cut off.

Stephen, If your ever over on this end of the State, your're more than welcome to stop by.:thumb:

What a beast of a log and what a blast of a way to get your material. You are a lucky (although hardworking) man. I enjoy the mill posts a lot.

What a beast of a log and what a blast of a way to get your material. You are a lucky (although hardworking) man. I enjoy the mill posts a lot.

Thanks Glenn, I was hoping I wasn't boring everyone with my attempts at being a sawyer.

john, do you have enough room to store all the lumber youre milling for 2 or more years?(indoor storage)

I plan on air drying the majority of the lumber outside covered. The best I can do around here air drying is around 12% moisture content. All the softwood that I've air dried has gotten down to that in about 6 months or a little less. The last Oak that I dried got to 12% in a little less than a year, this is all 4/4 stuff. I've been using some of the Oak, I'll take it into the shop and in a couple of weeks it'll get down to around 8%. Of course the 8/4 will take longer, I've got some that will be on stickers for 2 years this December. I need to see what the M/C is on that.

If I needed to store some of it inside, I have an unfinished, conditioned basement that would work for storing if need be. I've thought about maybe converting one corner into a dehumidification kiln. I'd air dry first and then move my lumber inside and try to cut the drying time.