Drum Sander.....?

Stuart Ablett

OK, I'm looking to buy a drum sander, this would be for sanding panels flat etc. It will have to be a portable, or bench top unit.

Who has what and what do you think about it?

Cheers!

I've had the Jet (Performax) 16-32 for several years and have been very satisfied with it. Being open-ended, adjusting the drum parallel to the carrier can seem a bit of a pain until you get accustomed to it. Paper changes are straight-forward.

I've also got the Performax 16-32. Haven't had it in the shop long enough to do more than test it, but I will say it's only marginally "portable". It's a heavy son of a gun, at least with my wimpy back.

So far, I'm impressed with what it does, though. I also agree with Bill...the paper changes are pretty quick and painless.

I don't really have space to tuck it out of the way, I'll have to figure out something, might have to sell something to get the space I want back :dunno:

OK, the 16-32 seems to be a good unit, what about a 24-48? Ever feel the need for a larger unit? I really only want to buy this kind of machine ONCE :D

I have the 22-44, takes a big footprint to keep it laying around, so I store it in my shed.
I dont find the paper changing that easy, but then again, nothing comes easy for me when it comes to woodworking machines.
What you can do, is get a lift table and secure it to a platform on it so you can store it under a bench and roll it out when you need it.

I have the 22-44, takes a big footprint to keep it laying around, so I store it in my shed.
I dont find the paper changing that easy, but then again, nothing comes easy for me when it comes to woodworking machines.
What you can do, is get a lift table and secure it to a platform on it so you can store it under a bench and roll it out when you need it.

Yes, I'm thinking the larger unit might just be that, LARGE and do I really need the extra capacity? :dunno: I mean really, I don't build a lot of big stuff, this is a small cramped place I live......

Now to find a retailer who will ship to Japan..... :huh:

Make sure you get the tables. Worth every penny.

When I was shopping, a few folks had said they felt the 22/44 was under motored. Not sure if this is fact or not. I was shopping for the 10/20 when I got mine

Stu, I solved the storage problem for mine with a flip-top cart. The cart now sits where I used to have a Workmate. The Workmate is now folded up and stashed.

Make sure you get the tables. Worth every penny...

I ended up taking the tables off of the one I have because I simply didn't have the floor space to store it with them on. I figure I'll bolt them back on if if I'm doing a project that needs them (which isn't likely for the kinds of projects I usually do).

I have had 4 different drum sanders Stu, as you probably know most of them were trot line sinkers. The only one I had that was any good at all was the GI. It will step your work up a notch or two and will sure make flattening things (sort of) easier. But don't expect a lot out of a drum sander.

Thanks everyone!

Jim I know that a drum sander does only one thing, and that is the final sanding flat of panels, it is NOT a planer etc. What I really want it for is when I have some nice figured wood, and I want to resaw it, then use it like a veneer, with the planer I have, any figured wood comes out with all kinds of craters in it, which is a darn shame. The other option is to spring for a spiral head planer, but that will NOT do thin panels, I understand it will blow them up :dunno:

I have to admit, I've got the little 10/20 and I love it. Great for cutting boards and making thin stock... Fits well in a small shop... I would like the 16/32, but if you don't do much big stuff, it's pretty easy to handle

Thanks Brent, the 10/20 is cheaper and cheaper to ship too! :thumb:

Here in Japan there is a company called >> Off-Corp << they sell this unit.....

t_1423_01.jpg

>> LINK <<

Which is their own brand of tools Kerv, it is a 40/80 (basically a 16/32) which means 40cm doubled to 80cm if you turn the piece around, as it is an open arm design.

They want 84,000 yen for it, or $1089 USD. Shipping is only about $35.

I see the other 16/32 machines for sale in the US for about the same money, of course shipping is a lot for these machines to Japan, as well as import tax etc. If I bought locally, I'd at least have the illusion of support if something goes wrong....:doh:

Looking around the Kerv unit looks an awful lot like the now discontinued Ryobi WDS1600....
wds1600.jpg
I'm sure it is the same unit just badged under the Kerv name.

I see it rebadged as other company's drum sanders here and there, it even looks a lot like the older Performax 16-32 Plus unit.

:huh:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Jim I know that a drum sander does only one thing, and that is the final sanding flat of panels, it is NOT a planer etc. What I really want it for is when I have some nice figured wood, and I want to resaw it, then use it like a veneer, with the planer I have, any figured wood comes out with all kinds of craters in it, which is a darn shame. The other option is to spring for a spiral head planer, but that will NOT do thin panels, I understand it will blow them up :dunno:

Maybe I just got burned on the first three drum sanders I bought. I know I did on the second one for sure.:dunno:

You mentioned "final sanding" and I'd advise not to expect "final" there is still a lot of work to do after a drum sander gets done putting it's mark on your materials. I know you are very limited on space but if you could get a small open ended wide belt in the dungeon it would be money saved later on down the line. You demand a lot out of your tools and I'm afraid you may want more from a drum sander than you will get. That's what the problem was with me.

All I've ever used the little 10/20 for is cutting boards and making thin stock. I've never expected it to do anything big. It does put a smile on my face when I use it...:thumb:

Maybe I just got burned on the first three drum sanders I bought. I know I did on the second one for sure.:dunno:

You mentioned "final sanding" and I'd advise not to expect "final" there is still a lot of work to do after a drum sander gets done putting it's mark on your materials. I know you are very limited on space but if you could get a small open ended wide belt in the dungeon it would be money saved later on down the line. You demand a lot out of your tools and I'm afraid you may want more from a drum sander than you will get. That's what the problem was with me.

Yes, this too is my fear Jim, I' thinking that maybe an investment in a few more good speciality hand planes would be better, or even a spiral head for my jointer, if I could fit one:huh:

What brands of open end wide belts are out there?

I'm sure they cost an arm and a leg. I know Alex has the Performax 16/32, maybe I'll take some wood down to see him and give it a test drive, I know it worked well for his guitar building stuff....

I must be using the drum sander improperly.

I dont have any machines to smooth out a glue-up'd panel over 12.5 inches wide, other than hand planes or orbital sanders.
After I glue up my wider panels(I will be breaking it out to make a few tops for coffee tables), theres always that noticable glue line and I leave my panels 1/8 th thicker, then run them through the drum sander alternating sides so I get nice even clean sanded panels.
Its not my final step, because the drum sander seems to leave fine lines down the panel, so I finish off with the orbital sander.
I dont think changing the paper over to a higher grit would solve my problem.
Its a slow process for me, as I dont believe you can take off alot like a planer, I do light passes also so I dont get any burn marks on some woods.

I know that Alex has talked about how great his Performax 16/32 is and that is what i am looking at too. I have looked at the bigger machines but no matter how I organize or shift things around I just don't have the real estate in my shop that they take up. One day I will have one.