Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattlecan: Poly vs lacquer

Question Rattlecan: Poly vs lacquer

I have several small boxes to make. I'll be using walnut, QSWO, and mahogany. I have used spray can poly before with acceptable results, but there is a long wait for re-coating and the dry time allows dust to settle in the finish. These are display boxes and won't see regular handling, so the scratch resistance of the poly is really not an issue.

I've been thinking about using spray can lacquer as my finish. I'd start off with a coat of thinned dewaxed shellac to bring up the grain and color, light sanding with 320, then apply as many coats of finish as needed, sanding/steel wool between coats as needed.

If I understand what I have read to date, the lacquer has a faster dry time and can re-coat sooner. With poly I can do 3 coats a day with no problem if the conditions are good. However, that means two days to finish.

Can I cut down the finish time using lacquer?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Sorry I can't help with the Lacquer. What about a wipe on poly? You can mix in some Naptha and it will dry fast. Also hearing that the newer water base wipe on, dry really fast.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

I use quite a bit of rattlecan lacquer on turned pieces, and I like it a lot. It is ready to re-coat much sooner than poly, and like you said, there is less chance of the wet finish getting contaminated with dust. And although I do use a wipe-on finish quite a bit too, I like spraying because it's easier to keep from getting handling marks in the wet finish as I'm applying it.

I get my best results when I apply lighter coats than I think I need.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Depending on conditions you can sand and re coat in as little as 30 minutes using lacquer. I love the stuff for ease of use!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Sorry I can't help with the Lacquer. What about a wipe on poly? You can mix in some Naptha and it will dry fast. Also hearing that the newer water base wipe on, dry really fast.
    The only problem with the water based wipe-on is that it raises the grain. I tried it but went back to the oil based.

Lacquer dries pretty quickly. I use a water based spray lacquer but put dewaxed shellac on first to avoid the grain raising problem. I use a spray gun - I don't think water based lacquer is available in a rattle can.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-24-2011 at 11:13 PM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Good advice from all - thanks/ I think I'll give it a try soon. Any brand that you like over the others?

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I have only tried it once Mike. I used a spray bottle and raised the grain first. Worked pretty good. It does add time to a project, to pre-raise the grain.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

I like deft that I get at Lowes. I can get 3 coats in a couple of hours with good conditions.

Rennie, have you tried wiping on shellac, at a 2# cut? A thin coat will dry in an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Rennie, have you tried wiping on shellac, at a 2# cut? A thin coat will dry in an hour or so.
    I wipe on shellac as a first coat on most all my projects. I usually follow with several coats of wipe on poly. However, for these small boxes I was thinking it would be much faster to apply the one coat of shellac, sand, assemble and then finish with spray. Wiping on a finish on a small item with lots of nooks, crannies, and inside corners can get to be a real pain.

www.wrworkshop.com