Welcome to the 'Lab'

Jeff Horton

I have been doing a major clean up and a minor rearranging in the Lab. It's been going on for a couple of weeks now and almost done. Getting rid of junk that has gotten piled up. Tossing scrap wood (always hard to do). Selling some machines I never used and some I acquired in a trade and didn't want. Making and finishing up some shop projects. Since it was about as clean as it would get I thought it was time for a tour.

Start with what I have been working on. SPACE!! Boats take up a lot of space and I am going to bring up a 20 foot Cris Craft to restore over the winter. So I needed to free up lots of floor space. I will need space around it so I could work on pieces of it and an occasional kayak project at the same time. Even with all this space I know it is going to get crowded at time.

TN-Imgp1514.jpg

This is another project I have wanted for a long time. Well two projects. The new clamp rack which I showed in another post. Still have a couple of more french cleats and several brackets to make. But I am loving this.

And a new shop sink. I had one of those plastic laundry sinks and hated it. While hauling scrap metal from the barn and the old building on the property I found an old enameled steel sink with the drain board on the side. It was in great shape so I took it to the shop. Now I have a place to put my wet grinder beside my water source. Now all the water runs into the sink. Easy clean up of the mess. Storage underneath for the supplies. I love it!! Still have a shelf to install under there but this is great.​

TN-Imgp1513.jpg

Heart of almost every shop. This is my 1946 Unisaw. I built a large outfeed table behind it that is freestanding. It is used A LOT for many other things. For some reason I find myself using the corner of it to do most of my sawing with the jigsaw. Not sure why but I just automatically go there.

I want to build some sort of cabinet under the wing to store the jigs and things for the tablesaw.​

TN-Imgp1515.jpg

Radial arm bench with cutoff storage underneath.​
HERE IS THE CORRECT PHOTO

TN-Imgp1516.jpg

Wysong foot operated mortiser and drill presses along the wall. Along with assorted other stuff that hasn't been put away. :rolleyes:

My belt sander sits over here most times but being on wheels it gets moved to where ever it is needed. Often time to the door because of the dust.
TN-Imgp1517.jpg

General purpose work bench also known as a clutter collector. :eek: Just cleaned out the shelves and moved the bench here. My 12" joiner lived here. Since I rarely use it I traded if for an 8". I have my 6" joiner sold and that freed up a lot of floor space . I need the floor space way worse than I needed two joiners.

My lathe is behind the bench and the shaper is to the side. It, like the sander, is rolled out when used.

Just cleaned out those shelves and hoping they take the odds and ends that usually end up on the bench because they don't have a home.
TN-Imgp1523.jpg

Bandsaws and the new/old 8" joiner. I got stalled on restoring the 30" bandsaw. I am constantly finding the 14" throat on the Grizzly to small. So finishing the American is big on my list. It doesn't need that much and the machines I have sold should give the money to buy what it needs.

Last edited:
Nice Lab. Very spacious but I guess that is a relative term.

I will try to remember to get some photos once I bring in the boat. It takes up all the center section. So yes, very relative term!

Do you have a dust collector or did I miss that?

You didn't see the dust pan, broom and shovel in the corner?? :D

It is on my list and probably soon. I want a cyclone but frankly I can not afford one till the economy picks up and that is probably going to be measured in years, not moths. So I am starting to look at cheaper options.

Last edited:
I was going to say something about the size of your shop also, since I think the average hobbyist woodworker(although I think youre long past hobbyist) works out of 300 sq feet or less.
Please post up pics when you restore the boat.

Great shop. And all that room :thumb::thumb::thumb: I can imagine how it feels a bit cramped with a boat in there as well.

Is this building on your property or do you own or rent it in an industrial area ??

Bob, it is my basement. Here we build daylight basements. Even so I had dig down some and so some grading so I could put in a driveway. I absolutely love it. House and shop.

Thanks for the lab tour, Jeff. :thumb: With all that room, you could rent it out as a dance hall in between boat projects. :D