Resaw questions, now with pictures

I am going to try and book match a panel. Going to use 5/4 stock and split it. Do I need to prep the board first? ie, Joint one side and edge first?

Any advice, let it out. Don't hold back.

Last edited:
Don't know much about the questions you've asked, but I will say good blades make a difference. I had some blades I was trying to use for resawing on my 14" delta that would wander like someone with a belly full of bourbon. I got some new Ellis blades and they tracked as straight as a laser....

I'd say before you put the good wood under the blade, do a little testing with something cheaper and more plentiful....

Well I have a timber wolf resaw to try out. I also have a whole stack of Ellis, you just can't wear them out.

I should mention, it is just some old wood. I just want to try my hand at it. Never know, one day I might have to do it for real and might need the experience.

For the little bit of resawing I've done, I planed both faces and one edge. That way I had a flat reference face on both halves. From there, it was back to the planer to flatten the cut faces and make both halved the same thickness.

I joint the face and one edge and then plane the faces parallel. As Vaughn states; that way, once I resaw I have two known flat faces to use as a reference surface. I use a similar technique if I am resawing multiple slices off the same blank:
- Face joint
- Edge joint
- Plane faces parallel
- Saw off a slice
- Re plane faces parallel on the larger source piece
- Saw off a slice
- Saw off a slice
- etc.

I've been doing a fair amount of re-saw in the past couple of weeks, slicing 8/4 in half to make 3/4" finished stock; in thirds for 1/2" finished stock. I've sliced some to 3/16" to make veneers and edge-banding, also. I do pretty much what the others have said with the exception that I joint one face and one edge, then start sawing. I get such a smooth cut with a 3tpi 1/2" Ellis that I don't joint before subsequent cuts.

As to different blades made for resawing, the first one I got was a Timberwolf 3/4". It was OK but I wasn't totally satisfied. Next, I got a Woodslicer and it gave much better cuts. I can't really tell a difference between the Woodslicer and the 3tpi Ellis.

Where do you buy Ellis blades, and how pricey are they? I've bought my bandsaw blades from BCSaw.com, and they've been good. Just wondering if Ellis is better. Anybody have experience comparing them? Sorry for the hijack.

I ordered directly from Ellis after hearing about them on a forum - not sure if it was here. ellissaw.com

Pricing was better than anywhere else, too.

You have to call Ellis as they do not have on line ordering as of now. They are great folks to deal with and make sure you get what you want. They do have a $50.00 minimum order, but that is many blades. Last time I ordered (this spring) a 93 1/2" x 1/2" 3tpi was $8.79 ea, 93 1/2 x 1/4 4tpi was $8.38 142" x 1" 3tpi was $15.66.

Well the cutting is done. I have ran the pieces threw the drum sander. So far they came out pretty good. Will do the glue up tomorrow and see how they turn out.

I did have a little flutter in the blade I couldn't work out. I am thinking the blade is just to much for the 0555.

Well the cutting is done. I have ran the pieces threw the drum sander. So far they came out pretty good. Will do the glue up tomorrow and see how they turn out.

I did have a little flutter in the blade I couldn't work out. I am thinking the blade is just to much for the 0555.
What size blade did you use, Steve?

I've tried two or three different 3/4" blades in my 14" Shop Fox, but I've gotten better resawing results with a 1/2" blade in it. It took me a while, but I've started to believe the folks who say the average 14" saw doesn't have enough spring in it to properly tension a 3/4" blade. I'm sure there are guys who've had better luck with them than me, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

I should mention, it is just some old wood. I just want to try my hand at it. Never know, one day I might have to do it for real and might need the experience.

Wise words Steve. LOML keeps me supplied in old pallets and such from her work. Makes great practice and prototype material.

I've tried two or three different 3/4" blades in my 14" Shop Fox, but I've gotten better resawing results with a 1/2" blade in it. It took me a while, but I've started to believe the folks who say the average 14" saw doesn't have enough spring in it to properly tension a 3/4" blade. I'm sure there are guys who've had better luck with them than me, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

I had heard that rumor also, right after I got the 3/4" blade:eek: Pretty sure, it is not a rumor, after all. I think I will keep the blade, and get some use out of it, but there will be a 1/2" one of these days.

Guys there is one point here that needs to be considered on the 14 inch bs and that is that most of the saws have been supplied with a poor spring. I discovered this point when i purchased my delta which at the time was being claimed was ma ufactured in the USA. It is a 1.75 hp motor which is the largest normally fitted to the typical 14" . Well it was supplied with one of the "new" springs that either carter or Iturra had developed. The way to identify this spring is seeing if the spring wire is round or is kinda boxed shape that is flat on the edges. It also happens to be yellow. The spring is available as after market upgrade. Iturra, Lv and others stock it. It only costs around $20 but is a big improvement on what is fittes standard. This willsignificantly improve any 14" saw. In addition we need to keep Hp in mind. Typical 14" is supplied with 0.75 hp motor so consider the power equation too when expecting it to plough a heavier blade through a wide piece of hardwood.
In hindsite i think i probably paid $200 for that spring considering what my saw cost me at the time:):) lol

If you aint got one its a very worthwhile cheap upgrade to any 14" saw. Some are now coming out fitted with them as standard so check before you buy.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=56055&cat=1,41036,56060

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk