Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me TS

New to me TS

I picked up a new to me tablesaw this past weekend and finally got it cleaned up enough to use last night. It's a mid 80s craftsman 1HP with steel wings. When I went to look at it, the owner told me he spilled a quart of oil on the top about 8yrs ago and he never clean it up so it hasn't been used since then either. Everything worked, the oil was only on the top and a bit running down the right side onto the moble base and it sounded good when I turned it on. I got it home and it took about an hour to get the oil off (used sawdust from the floor) and then I scraped some gunk off with a flat blade. (pic 1 & 2) I went at it with some 220 grit sandaper and WD40...the surface is still stained a bit from the oil, but smooth as glass and has a good coat of paste wax on it now! (Pic 3) I think I now have my shop set up the way I want it, until I change my mind again...The best part is I sold my old tabletop delta for $50 last night....I only paid $45 for the new saw!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p_00471.jpg   p_00472.jpg   p_00473.jpg   p_00478.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

, Jeff. You ended up with quite a deal!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Nice deal, Jeff.

I can see the elbow grease on the shiny table top.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Thats the way to upgrade, money ahead Congrats on the new to you table saw

Thanks guys...going from the one pictured below to the new one is like night and day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p_00464.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Ye dun gud.
    And money left over for celebratory beer.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Great find...Use it in good health
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

Nice! You fared a lot better than my Vikings did against the Pack this weekend.

Since you've essentially go zero dollars in it so far, that saw would be a good candidate for a decent thin kerf blade, and possibly a Delta T2 fence upgrade.
    Got Wood?

Scott, I think Ponder shows promise...so the future might look bright for your team.

Yes a new blade is in order...hope to pick one up very soon.
    My Website

I had a similar craftsman saw and it was a workhorse

Great deal
    Faith, Hope & Charity