New to me TS

So yesterday I had all day to myself in the shop. I only lasted the morning as the cold weather brought me inside to watch some football with a bowl of popcorn and a nice fire going to warm up my feet and fingers. I did manage to make a new TS station. I spent about $15 on it so yes it's not fine flatwork, but I hope to make some with it soon.:rolleyes: I got the old army file cabs from a friend years ago and they finally got a home off the floor. They hold my sanders, jig saw, circular saw and some other misc. things. I plan on making a add on router table similar to what Darren did on his awhile ago. Sorry about the badly lit cell phone pics, but I wasn't about to open the garage door with the temp in the low 20s and the wind blowing about 30MPH!!:eek:

First pic is what I had been working with and the second is what I finished up with. Somehow I even managed to make it about 1/8" taller than the workbench so I have about 4.5' for and outfeed table! (Ok I measured, but with my math skills I'm still suprised it worked out!)

Attachments

• IMAG0191.jpg
    IMAG0191.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 33
Good work Jeff. You'll enjoy having that storage nearby for featherboards, stop blocks and all the paraphernalia that goes with that workstation.

Thanks Glenn! I forgot to mention that I will be adding a sloped "dust slide" towards the back the TS once I get a DC (hopefully very soon).

So it the arbor the same diameter from end to end? I had a 1997 CM that was 5/8" Diameter only about the thickness of the blade out from the flange beyond that it was a bit under, enough that a stacked dado couldn't be used on it. Sears sent me another arbor & it was the same & they tried to tell me that's the way it's supposed to be. So I asked why my Dad's 1957 CM with the original "power bronze" anniversary paint job wasn't that way & they fumbled around & couldn't answer me. I have Dad's saw now with a 2 hp Sears motor out of a commercial CM cabinet saw.

The 2 hp motor has a story connected with it. Dad was working at the time as a sawyer on a large apt. complex. He had taken over when they had a reorganization & the fellow that had been the sawyer hadn't kept the chips shoveled out from inside the cabinet so the pitch & resins had built up inside the motor. This is one of those 2 piece motor cases that were basically just glued (bonded) together at the joint. The motor was seized up . So my Uncle & Dad got together & managed to pop the case apart they found the shaft was scored . My Uncle redressed the shaft to clean it up & using a welder built the shaft back up & turned it back to the right diameter on his machine lathe. Then with new bearings they reassembled the motor, but could not glue or bond it together for lack of the proper bonding agent. However there is a round flange 1/2 to each side of the case on both ends, so they used stainless hose clamps & they've held it together for about 40 years. I still have the original 1 hp gold motor too.

Dad purchased this saw in 1957 for $60 added the wings & motor (both separate purchases) & built his own stand out of 2x stock & 4x legs. This saw as Dad just told me a few minutes ago on the phone made him a lot of money over the 30 years he used it in his cabinet shop.

Last edited:
Nice work Jeff. I see a Router table extension going on the right sight soon. :thumb:

A router table on the left works real well too. You can feed the material the same direction as the saw without reaching out over the table but while standing along side the end of the table using both hands as well as push blocks I.E. Grippers. You can see just a little of my router table in this pic.

Also here is a pic of the TS cabinet.

Attachments

• TS1.jpg
    TS1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 25
  • This will change the height of you contractors-saw.jpg
    This will change the height of you contractors-saw.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited: