This Mornings Spin.

Chas i like it two. As i don't understand metrics can you give me a idea of the size in inches. i know i should of learned this but i was pig headed and didn't want to at that time.

Stephen

type this in google search bar..

"200 mm in inches"

and it will respond

" 200 millimeters = 7.87401575 inches
More about calculator."

With google around you really don't need much more..

Garry

Very nice. I just have to try those one of these months. Ya I said months, the dang to do list is so long.
Dennis

That's another nice piece, Chas. :clap:

Steve, I don't know if you're much of a horse person, but Google can even tell you that 200 mm is the same as 1.96850394 hands. Or if you're more into surveying, it's about 0.994193908 links or 0.0397677563 rods. :D

Thanks for the comments, must remember to work to the English Rule :D when posting over here.
Seem to be getting some sort of perverse satisfaction out of wading through the mound of offcuts I have and then of course getting the glue joints nice and tight in the bits that are left by the turning boosts the ego somewhat.

Another great looking bowl Chas. :thumb: Oh and in regards to the metric system 25 mm is aprox 1 inch. It is way easier to deal with in all aspects of construction and building once you do the change, the biggest problem is trying to do all the conversions back and forth betweeen metric and emperial. We converted in the 70's and we are still having issues with it. Wife sent me out for a pound of butter. I stood there in the isle looking at the 480 g packs ( blocks) and bought 3 just to make sure I didn't screw up. Turns out one block is a pound. :doh: We still build with 2x4's and not 38x 89's:D

Yes Drew, I went through the Imperial/Metric hoops in the late 50's early 60's. All the more confusing for some here because Europe was using the MKS system when we all changed to the SI metric.
The errors encountered with different drawings using the CM as base and others using MM were not always obvious. More than one Trinket box was made big enough to house the tool collection.

All but a couple of my latest measuring devices are dual Imperial/Metric and I still use either dependant upon whichever the old brain accepts as a visualisation.

Biggest problem I had whilst still working in the aircraft industry was that materials, tubes, sheet metals did not change in manufacture, just the SAE specs adjusted to accommodate variations. Inevitability being that a lot of things did not fit.

We still suffer from retailers quoting inaccurate dimensions.
1/4" is regularly quoted as the same as 6mm, when it should be 6.35mm
1" quoted as you yourself referenced as 25mm when it should be 25.4mm.

In timber joists etc. not relevant as it's well within the expected machining tolerances but is a real pain when it comes to machinery and tools.

How many Turners have fallen foul of the repeated listing of tool shanks by the retailers as being 5/8"-16 mm and then found that they won't fit in their existing tool handles.

Chas the main problem that we are encountering is with ( and no one take this the wrong way ) is with the neighbors to the south. USA is still in the emperial system and as we deal with the import and export of goods we are still finding ourselves constantly dealing with the conversion issues. Buy generic house plans and they could be for the american market and unless you specify they can come in imperial. On line shopping is the worst for that. I just don't understand with metric being the accepted global standard why the states don't convert?. I do understand that the 1 inch is 25.4 but for all intensive porposes 25 is easier to use as a general reference when trying to do the conversions.

.. do you make the top ring and the bottom out of the same board?
Not in this instance Jim, diameters for glue up overlapped. Too lazy to be that critical on dimensions.

I do like to match the wood though, in that particular instance its from a billet about 75mm thick that I sliced up into 22mm+ wafers.