Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to rant

I need to rant

Bear with me.

Had my first interview today for an electrical position. Local factory is looking for 3 and conducted the interviews at school. So I wait my turn as patient as I could. My turn comes up and into the room I go. We start with the usual, tell us about yourself, greatest accomplishment, worst flaw, that type stuff. The stuff we all hate. I should mention 2 guys are doing the interviewing. Well they decide to go over my resume and sure enough we start talking about my past supervisor job and the experience I had in that. We went over the Toyota Production System and the like. Well how would you handle this, and that. It appears they were more interested in me for a dang supervisor than an electrician. What the crap have I been doing this crap for if I can't get past my past. Need less to say, I don't think I will be getting either of the 2 jobs. I didn't go off, I was polite and didn't burn the bridge, but I didn't cross it either.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Ranting is healthier than keeping it bottled up

cross a supervisor with an electrician... ... couldn't that be considered a Superior Electrician

Steve, those interviews and what they are looking for are unpredictable. They are laced with 'trap' questions, especially the ones about past employers.
    I hate the nonsense questions. e.g. "If you could be an animal what would you be?" You not getting the job does not reflect on you at all it is just a tough fact of life. Hang in there.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Ranting is indeed better than bottling it up. I wouldn't read too much into the managerial skills inquiry. We currently have an opening for a senior network engineer and when the six of us sit across from the potential candidate and grill them there are 70-odd questions which include a few like "How would you inspire excellent customer service in your coworkers?" or "What kind of employees do you find hardest to manage?". These are positional questions. That is; we are not looking for a supervisor but, we want to know the persons career maturity level and how they may react is they get sidelined by a Director in the hallway, that sort of thing.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Could be that they are considering your background for a future supervisors position. I would hire the guy who knows the electrical requirements but also has the potential for a supervisors position down the road.

Give yourself the opportunity to turn down a job offer instead of not being considered for the job. If nothing else it really boosts your moral and gives you an edge for your next job interview.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Well I did turn it down. Both jobs actually. Besides the part that they got under my skin, with the schedule they work I would not be able to finish my schooling. I have given up too much and tried to dang hard to get this far.

I think it was Johnathan that told me, it is one thing that can't be taken away once I have it.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I was going to say the same as Bob. A person that can manage others, usually can manage themselves pretty well and not need to be told how to do things. I think you made the right decision though. Chalk it up to interviewing experience, learn from it, and move on to the next opportunity.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word ďboo.Ē Ė Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I was going to say the same as Bob. A person that can manage others, usually can manage themselves pretty well and not need to be told how to do things. I think you made the right decision though. Chalk it up to interviewing experience, learn from it, and move on to the next opportunity.
    Well said Darren.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Steve, I feel your pain. Interviewed at a HS while finishing college, the principal and I talked over the phone, he heard I was married, asked if my wife would accompany me. In essence he was pretty confident I was a good fit for his school and needs and wanted to meet my wife on the first visit and save me a trip back. We get to the school, he is in a meeting so a secretary takes us to the superintendent's office first. I didn't get the job, eventually ask the super in my home HS if he knew the super at this particular HS. He answers yes, so he asks him why he didn't hire me. That man's answer, "he was tied to his wife's apron strings, she came on the first visit with him!" I am devoted to my wife, have been since we became an item, tied to her apron strings?
    Anyway, with that type of miscommunication, they wouldn't have been a good fit for me. Hang in there, it becomes painfully aware why some positions are open when you apply. The one for you is out there, you will enjoy it and they will enjoy you. Stay focused and on track my friend. As my dad said to me when we got pulled over by the state police with an overloaded truck of hay, "they can kill ya, but they can't eat ya!!!"
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Steve, you'll know it when it's the right fit. You and your employer will both know. Keep your eye on the prize and it will come

Side threadjack and just an aside, but kind of amusing:
    Back in the 70's when smoking was allowed everywhere in buildings, my old boss at Flying Tigers would always offer a potential candidate a cigarette in the interview. If they took it, they didn't get hired. (My boss was a non-smoker)

But back to the point...be yourself...no matter how much HR drills all these interview programs into the bosses, they know the scoop in who they would really want to hire.