I need to rant

Bear with me.

Had my first interview today for an electrical position. Local factory is looking for 3 and conducted the interviews at school. So I wait my turn as patient as I could. My turn comes up and into the room I go. We start with the usual, tell us about yourself, greatest accomplishment, worst flaw, that type stuff. The stuff we all hate. I should mention 2 guys are doing the interviewing. Well they decide to go over my resume and sure enough we start talking about my past supervisor job and the experience I had in that. We went over the Toyota Production System and the like. Well how would you handle this, and that. It appears they were more interested in me for a dang supervisor than an electrician. What the crap have I been doing this crap for if I can't get past my past. Need less to say, I don't think I will be getting either of the 2 jobs. I didn't go off, I was polite and didn't burn the bridge, but I didn't cross it either.

Steve, those interviews and what they are looking for are unpredictable. They are laced with 'trap' questions, especially the ones about past employers.
I hate the nonsense questions. e.g. "If you could be an animal what would you be?" You not getting the job does not reflect on you at all it is just a tough fact of life. Hang in there.

Ranting is indeed better than bottling it up. I wouldn't read too much into the managerial skills inquiry. We currently have an opening for a senior network engineer and when the six of us sit across from the potential candidate and grill them there are 70-odd questions which include a few like "How would you inspire excellent customer service in your coworkers?" or "What kind of employees do you find hardest to manage?". These are positional questions. That is; we are not looking for a supervisor but, we want to know the persons career maturity level and how they may react is they get sidelined by a Director in the hallway, that sort of thing.

Could be that they are considering your background for a future supervisors position. I would hire the guy who knows the electrical requirements but also has the potential for a supervisors position down the road.

Give yourself the opportunity to turn down a job offer instead of not being considered for the job. If nothing else it really boosts your moral and gives you an edge for your next job interview.

Well I did turn it down. Both jobs actually. Besides the part that they got under my skin, with the schedule they work I would not be able to finish my schooling. I have given up too much and tried to dang hard to get this far.

I think it was Johnathan that told me, it is one thing that can't be taken away once I have it.

I was going to say the same as Bob. A person that can manage others, usually can manage themselves pretty well and not need to be told how to do things. I think you made the right decision though. Chalk it up to interviewing experience, learn from it, and move on to the next opportunity.

I was going to say the same as Bob. A person that can manage others, usually can manage themselves pretty well and not need to be told how to do things. I think you made the right decision though. Chalk it up to interviewing experience, learn from it, and move on to the next opportunity.

Well said Darren.

Steve, I feel your pain. Interviewed at a HS while finishing college, the principal and I talked over the phone, he heard I was married, asked if my wife would accompany me. In essence he was pretty confident I was a good fit for his school and needs and wanted to meet my wife on the first visit and save me a trip back. We get to the school, he is in a meeting so a secretary takes us to the superintendent's office first. I didn't get the job, eventually ask the super in my home HS if he knew the super at this particular HS. He answers yes, so he asks him why he didn't hire me. That man's answer, "he was tied to his wife's apron strings, she came on the first visit with him!" :dunno: I am devoted to my wife, have been since we became an item, tied to her apron strings?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Anyway, with that type of miscommunication, they wouldn't have been a good fit for me. Hang in there, it becomes painfully aware why some positions are open when you apply. The one for you is out there, you will enjoy it and they will enjoy you. Stay focused and on track my friend. As my dad said to me when we got pulled over by the state police with an overloaded truck of hay, "they can kill ya, but they can't eat ya!!!":thumb::thumb::thumb:

Steve, you'll know it when it's the right fit. You and your employer will both know. Keep your eye on the prize and it will come :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Side threadjack :threadjacked: and just an aside, but kind of amusing:
Back in the 70's when smoking was allowed everywhere in buildings, my old boss at Flying Tigers would always offer a potential candidate a cigarette in the interview. If they took it, they didn't get hired. (My boss was a non-smoker)

But back to the point...be yourself...no matter how much HR drills all these interview programs into the bosses, they know the scoop in who they would really want to hire.

I feel same way as Sharon. If its gonna work out there needs to be something click thats more than questions and paper.
Depends on how long the relationship is expected to last.
I go back to my view on selling, you buy something in the first few seconds, the rest is seeking affirmation that you doing the right thing. When its hoops and jumps and comittees then its someone looking to derisk it for themselves rather than take the lead, personally i would not want to work for a committee hire cause no one is going to back you up or bat for you. In my mind totally their loss Steve. Pretty sure if they even bothered to check google on you they would have got a taste of who you are. But btw feel free to rant it helps a great deal and gets you input from people who care.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

My wife wants me to go back to work. I spent 30 years in the auto industry and retired a few years ago. So she shoves a want ad in my face a month ago from a local company looking for a CNC machinist. The ad states "looking for cnc machinist to work 10-12 hours per day, 7 days per week, plus overtime.???:huh: I told her, "divorce would be easier" :D plus I am through with slavery and prefer to have a life. Stick to your guns Steve, and pass it all off as an experience.

Steve, those interviews and what they are looking for are unpredictable. They are laced with 'trap' questions, especially the ones about past employers.
I hate the nonsense questions. e.g. "If you could be an animal what would you be?" You not getting the job does not reflect on you at all it is just a tough fact of life. Hang in there.

Ha! I haven't been asked that question, but one of the questions asked when I interviewed for position as a TWA cargo agent (I was already a ramp serviceman - i.e., cargo handler) was: "Would rather have a neat clean desk or be sexually aroused?" Well, DUH!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had a interview several years back. The guy told me he took some psych classes and like to put them to use when he could. So we danced a little and then he popped the question. What is your favorite color. I replied BLACK, soon as I could. He said I had a bad outlook at things and a negative outlook. I said nope, black is the color of the Goodwrench #3 and when you see it coming you better get the hell out of the way. He felt I wouldn't be a good addition to the company. I told him I felt so as well.

Two days later I got a better job.:D

The guy told me he took some psych classes and like to put them to use when he could. So we danced a little and then he popped the question. What is your favorite color. I replied BLACK, soon as I could. He said I had a bad outlook at things and a negative outlook.

I call the interviewer's kind of thinking psychobabble.