More Birdhouses

Ok when you get tired of these let me know. The lady called and said she wanted 6 more mini birdhouses and didn't care if I colored them or used pyrography on them. So I jumped on it today since it was snowing. Yep our first snow and the grass is white. Anyway I tried to make these look like they were made from old barn wood. The one on the right looks the best with what looks like old planks with knots. I burned spots to make it look like the wood had knots all over it. Anyway 3 more to go tomorrow. Lacquer finish on these as I ran out of GF Woodturners Finish but my quart is on the road.

Attachments

• Mini Birdhouses 5.jpg
    Mini Birdhouses 5.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 59
Those are outstanding Bernie! Did you dye the "barn wood" ones? I really like making birdhouse ornaments, it's instant gratification. What kind of burner do you use?

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind comments. Well if you aren't tired of them I have some new ideas rolling around in my head with maybe some texture then burn or carving the shingles then burn to maybe give them a different more authentic look. Also got some idea's for the main body of the house. I am going to experiment today. I took some of these down to the Art Gallery as a pre show. They are going to put up their Christmas tree on 11/01 instead of after Thanksgiving hoping for more sales. Last year the patrons told them to do it earlier. Did I say more sales.:D She called last night and said I needed to come down because she needed to talk to me about getting a bunch more. She already had people in that are wanting them. Woohoo.

John I used pen from Hobby Lobby called COPIC Sketch pen. It has a spade tip on one end and a brush tip on the other. They come in a abundance of colors and work beautifully on small turnings like these and ornaments. The color on the one I burned the lines to make it look like barnwood was I think called cool gray. I have a lot of these colored pens.

The micheals here doesn't carry the right sized ones and good luck finding someone that understands what I am looking for. I have been getting mine at the dollar store but they have not gotten any in in awhile ( I bought up their entire stock last time)

Bernie,

Myrna and I really love your bird houses. She had me print an 8 1/2 x 11 of these three. I did it on the free paper that Tom Niemi sent me. This was the first print from the package. Now how is that for an honor?

I agree, keep posting your bird house pics.

Enjoy,

JimB

I picked up some from Micheals today Bernie but they are pretty expensive 5 bucks for 4 birds. The dollar store ones ( which are almost the same birds) are 1.25 for the same package. and of course they were still out of them. :(