Thread: Cooler Corn

Cooler Corn

**DISCLAIMER**
    I haven't actually tried this myself, but it sounds like it just might work. This if from an E-Mail I received.
    Dan

As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was blind-sided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly.

I was hepped to it while visiting my family in Maine. Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster.

Then my sister, a capable Maine cook with years of camping experience, says "let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the heck is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed.

Then nothing.

When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cooler-corn.jpg  
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Well I don't see why it wouldn't work. The cooler would seal it off and the hot water would cook it. Too bad our corn cob season is over, or I would give it a try.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Great idea. I like the photo demo too, in case we didn't understand the concept.

will it work if I use an igloo cooler instead of a coleman cooler?
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    will it work if I use an igloo cooler instead of a coleman cooler?
    The directions clearly state "Coleman". You could have a problem, you could end up with a cooler full of popcorn
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I wonder if there would be any BPA's released (the cancer causing stuff in most plastics) when you heat that cooler plastic up.
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    I had never heard of cooler corn, but it looks ike it works. I know of a lady that when she is doing corn to freeze put it in her dish washer and the cuts it off the cob rather than cut it off the cob and the cook it on the stove. She also does this on tomatos so that the skins can be removed before canning.

You guys boil your corn?

I'm in the "roasted on the grill, in the husk" camp. I typically soak it in water for a few minutes, then grill it until the husk starts turning black, but before any of the kernels start to turn brown.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com