Wooden Horizontal Sundial

You guys are not gonna believe this, but I actually made something. :woohoo: A wooden sundial.

Base is Mahogany (22" across) and gnomon (the angled piece sticking up) is Purpleheart and is cut the angle of my latitude (approx 50 deg.) The letters are vinyl that I got a sign place to cut for me (cheap). It's unfinished for the moment....not sure what to finish it with (or whether I need to). I cut a little tenon under the gnomon and used a little stub mortise to keep that awkward piece from going anywhere. It's for an upcoming magazine article. A little beginner project. As in, if I can do it, anyone can do it. ;)

sundialforposting.jpg

That's great. Let me know the issue numbers that you were published in.

Issue #74 Oct/Nov 2011 Did the essay "A Woman's View of Woodworking" (what it says on the cover). Credit is due to Vaughn McMillan who was my fabulous editor before submitting the essay. Got great feedback except for one woman in Vancouver who was highly insulted by my humor (and told the editor) I was a disgrace to all women.

Wish I could read the article. Sounds like a hoot. Too bad some old fuddy duddy got their knickers twisted on it! :rofl: :rofl:

Congrats! :thumb: :thumb:

You guys are not gonna believe this, but I actually made something. :woohoo: A wooden sundial.

Base is Mahogany (22" across) and gnomon (the angled piece sticking up) is Purpleheart and is cut the angle of my latitude (approx 50 deg.) The letters are vinyl that I got a sign place to cut for me (cheap). It's unfinished for the moment....not sure what to finish it with (or whether I need to). I cut a little tenon under the gnomon and used a little stub mortise to keep that awkward piece from going anywhere.
It's for an upcoming magazine article. A little beginner project. As in, if I can do it, anyone can do it. ;)
You are trying to get me to renew my subscription, aren't you!