Mohammad Has a New Toy

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I spent the afternoon today with Mohammad Madha helping him pick up his new (barely-used) Grizzly G1023SL tablesaw. :thumb:

Mohammad lives about an hour south of me, and the tablesaw was about an hour south of him, so after I picked him up, the first order of business was lunch. He treated me to a feast at one of the finer Pakistani restaurants in SoCal. :rofl: (Sorry, inside joke.) The food was very tasty, and I brought home enough leftovers for two or three huge dinners.
eating.gif
I learned today that although they are somewhat similar, one of the differences between Indian and Pakistani cuisine is that Indian food uses lots of vegetables and chicken is the main meat dish, but Pakistani food has fewer veggies and includes a variety of other meats like beef and lamb. My kind of folks. :D

With the help of the seller, we were able to get the saw loaded with no major problems. We removed the mobile base extension and turned the saw 90º in the remaining part of the mobile base to facilitate rolling it onto the truck. (The lift gate came to the rescue once again.) :thumb: Once we got to his house, we had to do a bit of maneuvering to get the saw turned and set on the mobile base correctly, but after a few minutes of head scratching, we did it without having to work too hard.

And for the skeptics, here's a bit of proof:

Mohammad's New Tablesaw 3 - 800.jpg Mohammad's New Tablesaw 2 - 800.jpg

I want to point out that if you look on the floor in the picture of Mohammad, you can see actual sawdust on the floor of his shop. Granted, that's just sawdust that fell out of the saw as we were moving it, but now his shop has been officially "dusted" and is one step closer to being a woodshop. Getting the 220v power run to his shop will be the next big step. The poor guy has a shop full of great tools, and nowhere yet to plug them in. That'll come before too long. ;)

On the other end of the woodworking spectrum, he loaned me a nice Bailey No. 7 hand plane that I can use for a project I have in mind as soon as I do a bit of cleaning and fettling to it. I'll post pics of it when I have a chance.

It was great seeing you again Mohammad, and thanks again for the lunch. :highfive:

Thanks guys and a big thanks to Vaughn.

The tools have taken over my shop space. It needs the "bradley" treatment.

I had an alterior motive behind loaning the no.7 to Vaughn. I didn't want to clean it up. Vaughn fell for it.:rofl:

Man your shop is getting some great pieces Mohammad:thumb: Of course the saw is the better piece over the big yellow one behind it:rofl::rofl::rofl: Congrats:thumb::thumb::thumb: and Vaughn is "He treated me to a feast at one of the finer Pakistani restaurants in SoCal. :rofl: (Sorry, inside joke.) a joke or GLOAT:eek: For sure that was a added treat to the day:) Now get the 220 in there Mohammad and make your own dust:):thumb:

Mohammad,

Are you sure that is a used saw? It looks new to me!

Congrats. Vaughn is a great guy isn't he.

Actually he was lucky to be helping you. He missed going to a very mediocre "Woodworking Shows." I think that was the most messed up show I have ever attended.

To start with it took both Glenn and me several days to get them to take our money for the tickets (via the web). Then Glenn was finally able to get someone to take our money over the telephone---they over charged him $4.00. However, by then he was just glad to get the tickets so we would not have to stand in a long line at the show.

There was a really long line for tickets at the show. However, it turned out to be people buying tickets for the auto show next door. There was NO line at the woodworking show.

I had a half page list of things I wanted to buy. However, none of the vendors on my list were there. We tried to get a list of vendors in advance of the show. However, they did not have a list until the day of the show (big help that was). That was just as inefficient as the way they handled the on-line sales. I think the people that put this on work at the zoo (on the wrong side of the bars) when they are not working on their shows. Le't see---360 days at the zoo and 6 days working on the shows.

I did purchase a digital caliper from Lee Valley. I had seen it in their catalog but it was something I wanted to get my hands on to decide if I wanted to purchase. I did purchase a DC hose for my Bosch ROS and Bosch Jig saw. The hose I had was a beautiful hose---as stiff as well soaked spaghetti. Those two features are wonderful. However, it weighed more than 6 inch flex hose. I would start to use the tool and a rhythm would get set up and the heavy hose would start oscillating. Then the hose was controlling the machine, not me. Getting lighter hose is going to be a real pleasure.

Amongst all of the vendors there might have been two dozen wood turning tools on display---basically beginner's sets. One of the main reasons I went to the show was to get to feel the turning tools and to purchase some. Easy Tools was there (however I have some and was not looking for more of that type). There were no Lie Nielsen tools, there were only a few Veritas hand planes, the DeWalt booth was quite small---hand tools, etc. etc.

There is more, however I do not normally rant so I will now shut up.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
Yes Jim, saw is in good condition.

I am sorry to hear that the quality of the show did not meet your expectations. The last woodworking show that I went to was about 5 years ago in Costa Mesa. I have heard that the quality of that show has declined since then as well. At least you got some of the items that you needed and spent time with Glenn.

Congrats M. That saw looks very happy in your shop. (You two look happy too). I know how you feel about waiting for plug-ins. I just got my shop rewired this past summer. Before that I had extension cords going through the house plugged into different circuits. It was a real soup-sandwich. How did you find the saw?

I'm happy for you, and it sounds like you had some fun with Vaughn too. :thumb: :)

well Mohammad,, i got some wood for you ,,but dont know of any Pakistani restaurants over here,, so you will need to bring your cooking staff along.. and i am sure glad your in s.cal.. there wouldnt be any tools left over here if you were closer you grab all the good stuff and you even got two of some things.. like those unusable spinny devices.. and that vaughn guy is probably starting to rely on you as a part time meal ticket now:) and rightfully so,, it sure was good eating when i had a sample of it and now he is getting it regularly:)

Cynthia, I found it on Craigslist, like pretty much all other power tools that I got.

Vaughn sure is a great guy and I always learn something new whenever we meet.

Larry, the shop is getting crowded. I need to create some space before I buy more power tools. In the future I'd like to have a planer, jointer and a compressor. I have to figure out if I need to keep all three lathes. Do you want one?:rofl:

Great score, Mohammad. It's nice that the saw found a new home where it'll be loved and taken care of.

I hope you enjoy using it and produce many wonderful projects with it.

Mike

Congratulations Mohamad, so once you get the 220V energy we'll start seeing some of the fruits of your hands.

We had a taste of them during the tour and we look forward for more!:thumb:

Well done, to both of you. Mohammad, you need the 220 NOW, stop procrastinating. Nice trick getting Vaughn to tune up that plane for you. I bet he fell for that "borrow it for as long as you like" line too.

More seriously, I am really glad that you're equipping your shop so nicely, and also that the two of you have been able to get together so much.

Ken, he hasn't been procrastinating. It's just that every time he gets some money set aside for the electrical upgrade, some good deal comes up on Craigslist and we talk him into buying it. :D

Congrats Mohammad on the new TS. Nothing quite like getting some new iron in the shop. And it looks like you got some of that good ol down to earth excellent assistance from fine neighbors.:thumb: