This week, I successfully burned a pressed log that I made solely out of dust and chips collected in the woodworking shed. For a long time, I have been crerating more dust and chips than I can easily dispose of. The city doesn’t want them either in garbage or in garden recycling material. I tried then as mulch, but the material tends to clump up and, so, later it becomes hard to work into the soil. It is possible to incorporate a bit of the dust and chips into my own compost bin where it is well mixed with other material. It is also possible to burn by throwing handfuls onto a fire in the stove my workshed, but that is messy. As a result of all this, I have now accumulated 5 very large paper bags of dust and chips. Here is a photo of two of the bags:
What to do? The clumping in the garden gave me an idea. I drilled some holes in a large can, made a removable wooden top, wet some dust and chips, pressed them into the can, then let the mixture dry for a couple of days. I thought that the clump would simply drop out of the inverted can, but that didn’t work. I had to take off the bottom and cut the can down the side in order to remove the log”.
Attachment 61452 Attachment 61453
After drying the log for another five days, I put some kindling under it in the stove, lit the kindling, and obtained a good fire. Here is one photo taken about five minutes after lighting the fire and another taken twenty minutes later:
Attachment 61454 Attachment 61455
By the way, the dried log held together fairly well before I burned it, but it certainly would have come apart if not handled gently.