Grizzly Chucks

Chuck Ellis

I tend to be a little close to my money and always looking for a bargain... I've noticed that Grizzly has a chuck body, G8784 for under $50 that looks very much like the PSI chucks - The Barracuda II - but they only offer the one set of jaws, I think referred to as the number 2 set... they open to about 2 3/4 inches.... I have two of the Barracuda's with a full complement of jaws and in the course of turning find myself changing jaws pretty regularly... I was thinking that if the jaws from PSI are interchangeable with the Jaws on the Grizzly G8784, I might pick up a couple more bodies and have a chuck with each set of jaws and not have to change so often...

Does anyone know if the jaws are interchangeable?

If they aren't I may just pick up the one chuck with the 2 3/4 jaws and then I can set up the two bodies I have with two different sets of jaws and not have to change quite so often... not only am I cheap, I tend to be a little lazy too if I can find an easier way.... :D

Chuck I got this chuck from grizzly. http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6265 for my Jet 1220 and the http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6267 for my Nova DVR lathe. I actually have 4 of the 1 1/4" X 8 because like you I hate changing jaws (read lazy). The reason I bought these is because they are a clone of the Vicmarc VM 100. The jaws of this chuck fit these two griz chuck. The Vic has a variety of jaws of which I have 4 of them on the griz chucks. I bought my griz chucks when they were $99 but still not a bad price at $105. They have served me well and haven't had one problem with them. I bought the 4 for less than what 2 Vic's would have cost and I don't change jaws.:rofl:

Now to your question I can tell you I do have one of those chucks G8784 and had the PSI Barracuda II chuck which I sold when I sold my Rikon lathe. The PSI jaws would not fit the griz chuck or at least the one I had would not. Hope this helps.

As big a fan as I am of Grizzly products, I bought my chucks from PSI. They represented the best value and versatility for my needs.
I have the mini and the 'cudda 4. Very happy with both as I am with PSI service.
I tend to be very picky with what I buy and careful with my spending. (can we say "cheap"? :rolleyes: )

Those are great and I did look at the Nova Clone, but I already own the Barracuda's with the extra jaws and I'm looking to not spend any more money than I have to, but like Bernie, I hate to change jaws (I'm lazy to) and like Frank, I tend to hang on to my money as long as it will stick around... I've used the Barracuda's for about 6 years now and they serve me well....

Like a lot of others, I'm not real fond of changing jaws on my chucks, but I found one of these plugged into a 3/8" square drive adapter in a variable speed drill makes the jaw changing operation a lot easier and faster.

I ended up cutting a couple of inches off the one that fits the jaw screws on my Nova chucks just because I didn't really need the extra length (and the wobble that it introduced).