New EWT Midi Hollowers Ci5 Tools

Stuart Ablett

Christmas came early!

EWT_Ci5_Midi_hollowers.jpg

Boy are these sweet tools, I can't wait to give them a test drive, should be the perfect tools for making some quick Christmas ornaments! :santa:

I've got a bunch of these tools, and I love them all, I also have a bunch of bowl gouges etc, the right tool for the job is what I like to say :thumb:

I have a Ci1 easy Rougher, I got this a LONG time ago, when Craig was still having them made at a local machine shop, I bought it unhanded and made my own handle. I also have a Ci1 Pro Easy rougher. Next up is the Ci0 easy finisher, this tool saves my bacon with the hard as rock Keyaki wood, love it on the inside of them bowls! I also have the Ci2 Mini Easy Rougher (square cutter) and a Ci3 Mini Easy Finisher (round cutter) Yep, that is a few to be sure :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Sweet!

For the smaller hollow forms these are great! :clap:

I did a bit of practice to figure out how these tools work.

Of course it is a bit hard to see them work inside a hollow form, so I used a little technique that I saw Eli Avesera show at a demo here in Japan, you put a flat block of wood in between centers......

EWT_Ci5_hollowers_practice_1.jpg

and turn a tenon on it.... OK I turned two tenons, as the first one was too small...

EWT_Ci5_hollowers_practice_2.jpg

Mount that in your chuck and your are ready to start hollowing....

EWT_Ci5_hollowers_practice_3.jpg

Once you bust through the side you don't have to stop to clean out shaving much...

EWT_Ci5_hollowers_practice_4.jpg

OK that is about all I can do with the straight tool, not much more I can reach...
EWT_Ci5_hollowers_practice_5.jpg

The straight tool at work.

EWT_Ci5_hollowers_practice_6.jpg

Next I used the medium curved tool and got about this far.
If found out that the block is a bit oversized, a bit beyond the reach of the middle tool, these really are mini hollowers

EWT_Ci5_hollowers_practice_7.jpg

After the third tool the biggest curved one, and a bit of cleaning up with the straight tool across the bottom, I just opened up the neck a bit to give myself a bit more room. The great thing about this practice is you can see the cutter at work inside the HF and you can learn how it cuts!

A couple of action shots below.....

EWT_Ci5_hollowers_practice_9.jpg

The wood was not spiraling that is just the effect on the camera
EWT_Ci5_hollowers_practice_10.jpg

I think you can clearly see that you can clearly see..... :D

I think I'm going to like these tools, not something I'll be using every day, but they certainly have a place on my tool rack!