GWG at the GATE

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
My local turning club, the Glendale Woodturners Guild (GWG), is participating in the Glendale Area Temporary Exhibit (GATE) program. The GATE program finds empty retail spaces in Glendale, CA and arranges to install art exhibits in them. The artists like it because it's a free exhibition space, and the surrounding merchants like it, because it fills vacant spaces and makes them look more active. About 12 of the club members (including me) have pieces on display at the exhibit until the middle of December.

Our space is a former sushi restaurant, which as it turns out, is a great space to display woodturnings. I took a whole slew of snapshots at the opening reception Friday night, and posted them to a Picassa album since there were so many of them. The reception was very well-received and crowded for most of the evening. I waited until the crowd thinned out to take the photos.

Here's the photo album:

Picassa Album

And here's a sneak peek:

GATE%20Exhibit%202011%20Pano%201%20-%201024.jpg

Well, I wiggled a few wires and banged on it with a wrench for a bit. See if that lets you see the album. ;)

Ok wow just dont cut it to me...Lol .....Vaughn i can see why its called guild. You guys dont have any members like me in your group.:):) Holy moly we talk of calenders man there is more than 12 calendar quality pieces there.
Its quiet breath taking to see all those excellent pieces I am thinking a good photographer should be able to make an excellent set of frameable nice size prints to sell which would extend the return in that art collection and share them pieces with way more people.
Its pretty humbling to see so much excellent work in one place. Man what a great group you belong to and i saw your pieces in their. They stand out well. Man its breathtaking. Showed the slide show to my family.
I hope society down your way supports this gallery. I presume its mostly for sale right.?

If so the sales and marketing guy in me is asking a load of questions...will send pm your way ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Wonderful art and an absolutely beautiful display space!! Should be a permanent gallery, and if the crowd was any indication, it would be very popular. WOW!!!

What a great way to fight some of the downtown blight. Much better to have a temporary art gallery than a pawn shop! (No offense intended to any pawn shop proprietors)

Very cool Vaughn!

That space does look like a gallery...very impressive display. Are guild members running the exhibit as well...if not who is? A group tried something like this here a few years ago...it worked well for me anyway, but other people didn't think the same...hope it goes well for you!! :thumb: