Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master woodworkers show pictures

Master woodworkers show pictures

I got up this morning and eased over to Knoxville to have a look at some "masters" and really see how I stack up. Well, all I can say is I'm about where I thought!

My photography skills are lacking and the woodworking skills are outstanding! I tried to get something for everyone from box making to turning. I didn't think of it until after I left, but I should have gotten pictures of the name plates with each piece so I could give credit. The ones that I remember I'll tell in the pic title. I will tell you the first one is Al Hudson. He's a local boy, at a spry age of around 90. The pictures are an injustice to this thing! As I was gawking he was talking to another fellow who asked if he had ever had it appraised. He told him it had appraised for 60,000 and he had around 700 hours in it. The case is Cuban bees wing mahogany that he said a friend had for years and finally sold it to him. I also included a chest he made, check out the price! Brian Boggs was also there, but I never did get to see him. Here's a couple of his chairs. I'll let you enjoy the rest, again if I could remember who made it I put their name in the picture title.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails al hudson (1).JPG   al hudson (2).JPG   al hudson (3).JPG   al hudson (5).JPG   al hudson (4).JPG  

brian boggs (1).JPG   brian boggs (2).JPG   alf sharp (1).JPG   alf sharp (2).JPG   alf sharp (4).JPG  

Last edited by John Daugherty; 11-05-2011 at 06:26 PM.

continuing with more pics......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brian brace (1).JPG   brian brace (2).JPG   jeffrey neil.JPG   john crawford (1).JPG   john crawford (2).JPG  

re young (1).JPG   re young (2).JPG   re young (3).JPG   sabihn mujtaba.JPG   tom sciple.JPG  

last set.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails woodworkers show 001.JPG   woodworkers show 006.JPG   woodworkers show 009.JPG   woodworkers show 010.JPG   woodworkers show 011.JPG  

woodworkers show 029.JPG   woodworkers show 032.JPG  

that is some amazing work john,,,, and i like the way that the alf fella turned that crotch around to make it go from corner to corner thanks for sharun the pics..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Fine examples of some unbelievable work...
    Thanks for posting them for us John.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Sure....I couldn't have looked at this first before uploading my latest feeble box attempt

Some real beauties there..Thanks!

Fantastic work.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Wow John just wow wow wow ......between you and Vaughn today i think i am more than inspired.

There are some absolutely awsome pieces there. That set of tables with the maple edging hit a button with me, the dung beatle chair such creativity, the monks well just take second look at the cobble stones in that pic, to get it to the point where you think you are seeing them in real life...thats an amazing piece, but the list goes on and on. The first unit you showed man that guys wood just over shadowed his fine work and the piece as a whole. Each one fine works of art and woodworking.

Thanks a ton for sharing the pics. now i been to two exhibitions today at least.
    cheers

Just amazing Man I really stink at this woodworking stuff

At least these pictures gave me an idea what to make for the 2x4 contest
    Faith, Hope & Charity

This reproduction of the Andrew Jackson sugar box was outstanding! I talked to the maker for awhile. He makes his own banding and such. I voted this one for peoples choice. The walnut came from trees that were taken down from the Hermitage, which is Jackson's estate outside Nashville.

It was inspirational to see these pieces! I also liked being able to see all the different furniture styles in one place. I really liked the Federal stuff. I haven't seen much of that in person. All the banding, inlay, and curves were really neat.

They had a section set up with different chairs, they had a few of Brian Boggs chairs along with several windsor chairs from Curtis Buchanan and Don Weber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails re young (3).JPG