Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: insulation question

Steve,
    Yes we do have gable vents. Again thanks for the advice You and Larry gave me exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Beland View Post
    Steve,
    Yes we do have gable vents. Again thanks for the advice You and Larry gave me exactly what I was looking for.
    hey steve,, how would you get more air low for him? i saw the gable vents but they dont look like they are big enough..??
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Just a caution.

Cellulose...... we used to vacuum this out of buildings because it loses it's fire retardants in about 5 years then it's just ground up paper like product that goes up like a roman candle. I know several contractors that wouldn't install it with out a signed release of responsibility in case of fire. We had sales men come calling trying to sell us on cellulose all we ever did is get a hand full from the vac truck & drop a match on it poof gone in a flash & so was the sales man. Two words for batt insulation & blown in insulation fiberglass or rock wool. Kraft faced face it inward with the tabs against the sides of the studs & staple it.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hey steve,, how would you get more air low for him? i saw the gable vents but they dont look like they are big enough..??
    larry you can install power vents. They are just wirly vents with a fan that's set on a thermostat. when it reaches a certain temp it will draw the heat out.

Bart,
    I didn't know that. So I should say I don't want cellulose.

Bart,
    i have done that test,chuck with my old cellous,, and it burnt not poof but burnt.. i used fiberglass blown i my shop attic and and i think i redid my house with cellous last time,, the stuff from older times did loose it fire retardency..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Bart,
    Well as far as I'm concerned until I see some cellulose that is at least 35 years old that doesn't burn I'll not use it.

When the house has burned down it's to late & it's the hardest way to prove that the fire retardant ability isn't there any more.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-07-2011 at 01:20 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

My house has had cellulose insulation for over 25 years and the house that my parents lived in has had it for over 40 years.

My questions:

1. Is there research supporting that cellulose insulation loses the fire retardant in 5 years? If so, where can I find it?

2. Is there research indicating that there is a higher incidence of fire in homes insulated with cellulose as opposed to other types?

3. If it is so dangerous, I wonder why cellulose insulation would be accepted in the building codes.

Thanks,
    Ike

You can do your own research take some out & try & light it that should be convincing enough. Personally I hope it doesn't burn. The big question in my mind is when does the fire retardant no longer retard fire & where am I and my family when this happens? I used to know a few insulators who required a consent to install form signed that released them form any responsibility should a fire occur. The only reason they would install it is if the customer insisted & the reason the customer insisted was because it was the cheapest insulation available. Cheap isn't always safe. I personally never saw a load of Cellulose that we vacuumed out of a house that wouldn't light & burn real easy . Steel wool & fiberglass have been around a long time & are proven insulations.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-07-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Here is a link to some information I found while looking for answers to my questions.

http://rtek-insulation.com/cellulose...resistance.htm

Ike