insulation question

Well as far as I'm concerned until I see some cellulose that is at least 35 years old that doesn't burn I'll not use it.

When the house has burned down it's to late & it's the hardest way to prove that the fire retardant ability isn't there any more.

I hardly think the 35 year old wood framing and sheathing would be any less flammable than the cellulose that's sandwiched inside. Lets not talk about the asphalt based shingles on the roof either.

Use the cellulose and it'll stop air infiltration and deaden outside noise better than fiberglass.

Jerry

A friend of mine had his house inspected & they saYs he only has about 2" in the attic & nothing in the walls. He asked me what should he do since he can't afford both, I told him I would ask my friends on the forum.

So what should I tell him should he do the attic or outside walls??? I don't know myself. So back to the experts.

I agree with the previous posts, Attic first (assuming floor is insulated or slab), but also sealing around the exterior doors and windows. My old house had single pane windows with storm windows outside. In each room, I picked one window to open and the rest got caulked shut (might label the window as an escape). It saved a whole lot of money, furnace ran probably half the time it did prior. Keep in mind each person has to think of their own safety and how to escape in the event of an emergency, so other methods should be considered, like new windows, window seal kits, or plastic over the windows.