Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: small cherry dresser for finish room

small cherry dresser for finish room

now that I lost my large finish room, finished painting it, nothing fancy, plaster walls that have been abused for 60 years dont fix easily.
    I ripped all the old molding, will install some mdf base and casing, and work on a few pieces for the room.
    I need to build a radiator cover, a small writing desk, and a dresser/armoir, and closet doors, which Ill save for last.

I ripped out the wire closet unit, and decided to give myself more work and build a closet unit. Just for fun, Id rather be in the shop than in the house painting or ripping wall paper borders.

I finished the closet unit today, just need to sand and apply stain and one coat of poly.

The closet is 6 feet wide inside, so I devoted 3 feet to the until, will hang double poles other side.

I made a mistake, used sandeply, and the trim is ash as well as the drawer fronts.
    Anything I wont be able to take when I sell my house will be made of ash for now on.
    Simple butt and bradded birch plywood for drawers, the pulls I saved from my old kitchen.

Funny how I learn something every day. I didnt have long enough screws with the pulls, but there were bag fulls of screws left over from my new kitchen pulls/handles.
    They are screws that can be cut down to any size, and I struggled for 20 minutes trying to cut the thing, then I realized, wow, like I had a V8 moment, I just need to snap the extra piece off.
    New to me, Ive never seen a screw like that before.

This unit has a 72 inch shelf for the top, and two 36 inch poles for the left side.I put in a pole on the right side for longer lengths, even though I doubt much will be put in this closet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinet 068 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	62442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinet 069 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	62443
    Last edited by allen levine; 12-17-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

I need to do that to my closets some day, nice job Allen

boy o boy, what a dummy I am.
    I started to make the side shelves for the radiator cover Im making now.
    I needed to route out the dados for the shelves.
    When I got to the bottom dado, the track hung over the piece too much so I took another piece of plywood and laid it up against it, and laid the track on it. All was good.
    When I clamped the track down, I clamped it to the plywood support piece and not the bench, so halfway through the dado, the plywood started moving as I pushed the router, and sure enough I ran right off the bottom with a dado.
    Sorta looks like a skid mark when you brake hard when youre moving 50 mph, veered off to the left.
    Ill have to readjust the piece a bit to cover up the bad dados. I glued it up with the shelves held up to the top edge of the dado and will cover the bad spots with ash edging.
    I quit after that today. Bad vibes. Im getting the roof ripped and shingled on the shop tomorrow. Ill take most of the day off.
    Human Test Dummy

Bummer on the dados, but closet insert sure looks good.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Man you sure did that insert nice. You a real production machine.
    Well done Allen.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Looks great Allen. BTDT on the dados
    Faith, Hope & Charity

floor is done, came out decent. one more coat friday morning and I can get back to work with molding and touch ups, and hang the TV.
    Im finishing off a college apt coffee table this weekend, then get to start on closet doors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cabinet 101 (Medium).jpg  
    Human Test Dummy

ofcourse the base molding and closet trim was basically a disaster. Its bad enough the floor is so uneven, the plaster walls Im trying to attach the moldings to are just so unflat and uneven I was close to tossing my nail gun today.
    There are some curves, and after 2.5 hours trying to get one piece to curve, a tight curve, I simply gave up, conceded until I purchase some flexible molding, it aint gonna happen.
    I was going to add molding to cover the uneven floor, my wife once again stepped in and said enough. 80% of it will be blocked by furniture or something, and I like her reasoning. If a tree falls in a forest, if youre not there does it make noise?
    Closet unit installed, again, the floor in the closet was off by a whopping 3/4 inch, and the wall off by so much I didnt bother to even measure. I knew the closet walls were way off when I installed a wire unit in there 15 years ago.
    I know its going to be our new "guest" room, but I figured might as well put some good reading material in there for the guests.
    My wife has informed me once I finish, shes getting a big comfy chair, and Im no longer invited into that room, its hers.
    Her den. (if we have no guests)
    She said I got the garage and the little bedroom, she gets the other bedroom.
    I told her ok, since its your room, you finish touching up all the moldings and the walls, and to that she said, no, didnt you hear me right? After you finish, you can stay out!
    I have one outlet that is so crooked, but I didnt want my son to rip a piece of plaster wall out between poly coats, so next week, he will be here tuesday to install the TVs, he tend to that for me.

Gonna start closet doors by mid week Im hoping. Was going to make cherry frames, with maple panels, but cherry is just too expensive to waste on closet doors in this house. I cant take them with me, and IM cheap, so Ill make them all maple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cabinet 109 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 110 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 111 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 112 (Medium).jpg  
    Human Test Dummy

The closet came out fantastic Allen. Nice job
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I agree with Bob, that is a great looking closet. I'm looking at doing some like that for our master when we start the closet/bath remodel.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault