Whoa, the world wobbled... Job shake up

Ned Bulken

I got a phone call last night from my boss, seems that Olan Mills is now part of Lifetouch Studios... so... things are now 'up in the air' even more at chez Bulken with regards to work and so forth. Evidently things are to 'continue as before' through the holly-daze rush (another month or so of frantic pre-christmas bookings) then we're going to have to 'see' what is offered and how the 'new company' will do things. I still have a job (for now at least)... but they already Have a church division... and they work theirs differently than how Olan did things. Olan Mills used a photographer and a proof consultant... Lifetouch combines both into one position. :dunno::doh:

*sigh*... film at 11

Uncertainty stinks, but who knows this could be a great opportunity :)

Ditto. I know you've been unhappy with some of the processes at OM. Having once been on the receiving side of them I can agree. Perhaps things will change in your favor. Having control over both sides of the equation may give you the opportunity to do things as you would prefer.

It is a double edged sword... Yes I've been unhappy with some of OM's procedures. I doubt that Lifetouch will be a whole lot different, and yet I am looking at it as the glass is half full. One nice thing is that Lifetouch at least uses newer and better cameras (Nikon D200 vs Olympus OM-1 with a kludge of lens and doubler on it)... Have to see how things shake out. My gut is still saying OTLphoto is the way to go, it may well wind up as the 'only' choice I have when things shake out. Root, Hog or Die situation.

Well, I hope it goes well Ned, you've got the right positive attitude. From what I've read, it sounds like they are working to keep all the current employees, which is good.

A friend's company got bought out last week. The new company is making all the previous company's employees re-apply for their jobs. I think he'll be fine, it's usually a procedural thing to make sure everyone is aware of the new company's policies and such. The previous owner was good to the employees, so I also doubt he would have sold them to someone that would hack up the company.

Hope everything works well for you, uncertainty is maddening, but keeping your head cool will help you to take the right decisions if the worst happens.

Best of luck to you Ned, whichever way the winds of fortune blow. This looks like it might be the perfect time to break out on your own.

keep your eyes open, and your ear to the ground ned, hope all goes well. we found out that most of our department will be outsourced to not "offshore", but to "nearshore" some time towards the end of february. uff da!