Backyard Maple Wood Finally Milled

For those who have been following my Backyard Maple Saga, today I had a guy come to my house and mill the few big pieces that I had kept from the bases of the trees. I put an ad on CL looking for someone with the "technology" to cut up these pieces since I don't want to wait 100 years for them to dry. Pieces that were like 2.5' long and 2.5' diameter. A real nice guy said he could do it for a reasonable price with a contraption called a "Texas Chainsaw".

I wasn't sure what we'd find inside these pieces, but I was hopeful. The guy cut boards anywhere between 3/4" to 3" thick depending on what I wanted. He did a great job.

I was pleasantly surprised that the chunks were very interesting inside. There was some spalting, some strange colors, a little birdseye, and some things I've never seen.

milling1.jpg

milling2.jpg

This was totally weird. Who ever had maple that was so dark? It's not punky--looks and feels fine.

milling3.jpg

This below is a strange uneven grain pattern. What is this?

milling4.jpg

But the best haul of the day was from this piece. It was a big crotch piece, and we didn't know if we'd get anything useful at all.

milling5.jpg

Tomorrow everything will get stacked and stickered. I'm too tired now. :)

Now you have gone and done it, you will not be able to stop, your wood collection is going to grow and grow, glassman is going to have to put his 57 outside under a tarp just to make room for your wood in his shop:D:thumb::rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tom you killing me.

Nice wood Cynthia now the wait begins.

You know you could try a piece in the oven if you want to speed up the drying process to be able to use it.

Not sure on the details but it is possible. You might get a check or two but still that could be cause for an inlaid bowtie.;)