Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another one in the books

Another one in the books

I didn't take pictures of everything, even though I probably should have. Most of it was kinda standard stuff. There's a bunch of options that I should've taken pictures of that I always seem to forget too. ie Trash Roll out, a pantry full of roll outs, Pocket doors (even though I despise them), and a really cool locker setup that was in the basement.

The kitchen:

I took this picture specifically for Allen Levine

Laundry Room, nothing spectacular or outta the ordinary

Bed room bookcase. There was a weird wall, I said lets put a box there.

Second Floor kids bath

Bedroom built in desk

The master bath had some challenges. One being this angled unit. The other being the linen, but that was only because it was pulled away from the wall. We couldn't get it to sit square, or flat, or anything resembling happy. It came in and out a few times. The angled cabinet gave me fits, but I learned a few things about making doors like that.

I didn't do either of the mantles. We ran out of time, and the trimmers did them. Kinda wish we would've supplied some panels for the legs though. What is there looks wildly out of place. The giant doors on the right are pocket doors. Way too big, there will be issues even though I used the absolute hardiest of hardware. You just can't talk people out of some things......... frustrating

Same here, didn't do the mantle, but this one is pretty attractive.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Very, very nice work Karl, as usual.

That is outstanding work Karl
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Great job Karl nice, even inset doors and drawers and the dark floors go good withe the white cabinetry

As usual really super craftsmanship Karl. You're right about that fireplace surround. The legs scream "PLAIN" in a sea of detail.
    Norm

I have a mind like a steel trap....
    ....rusty and illegal in 29 states.

As usual, your work belongs in magazines. Very beautiful craftsmanship.
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

Beautiful work, Karl.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    nice, even inset doors and drawers
    Yep, I'm getting a little sick of doing inset stuff, even though I think its the best looking way to do cabinetry. I'm just tired of all the headaches that come with it. It took ~30hrs to size and fit all of the doors and drawer fronts, (which there was 132 of....), and you have to be really careful to not twist things around too much on install. I shoot for a bit less than an 1/8" margin, Blum hardware can't handle much less clearance with out rubbing. The white makes that 3/32" gap look like its a mile wide though . I've gone down as far as a 1/16" gap, but the hardware just isn't good enough to handle it. Too much play in things, and it requires constant adjustments with the seasons. It does look sweet through with the margins that tight.

(edit)- I'm working on my kitchen right now, what I'm doing in cheesy-ness I'm making up for in going overboard on a few things. Cherry paneled ceiling, massive crown, and just going overboard with mouldings as a whole. I'll dig up my house re-model thread and I'll post pics, it should turn out pretty awesome when its done. What made me think of it, is I'm doing everything overlay, just because I think I'll go crazy with another inset job, especially in my crooked messed up house. 9'-8" ceilings with box work going all the way up....
    Last edited by Karl Brogger; 11-14-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

I like the kitchen, Im not sure why you took that photo for me.(I only see the oven a bit over flush with the cabinets, like my stove, other than that, I have no clue)

I do like the cabinet built in to the slope of the ceiling.(I have an attic type bedroom with those ceilings)
    I figure it the slope gave you fits, I cant do it, so Ill have to scratch that idea.
    Last edited by allen levine; 11-14-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

Karl
    My wife and I were just admiring this job again.
    Do the lighted compartments above the upper cabinets have function (storage for rarely-used things?) or just accent lighting?
    It appears in fireplace 1 that they had you build the side cabinets across the bottom half of the double hung windows. Just an optical illusion?

Again, lots of great ideas there to take away. Thanks for posting.

Peter