Thread: injured my hand

Mountain Home, Arkansas

injured my hand

No, not in the ww shop. In the kitchen. And, no, not with a knife.
    It was a very freaky accident with a glass jar.
    We have used a tall jelly glass type jar for storing bacon grease for years. (no comments about heart health and bacon grease, please.)
    We use the grease for flavoring in different type of cooking. I make bacon and eggs every Sunday and pour the excess grease into the jar.
    This Sunday, as usual, I had poured the grease in, let it cool for a while, then while screwing the lid back on the jar suddenly shear broke about a 1/2" down from the lid and hit me in the back of my left hand leaving a deep cut. Very painful. First thing I checked was to make sure all my fingers still worked. They did, still do. The pain was quite severe, at night I took a left over pain pill from my shoulder surgery to help me sleep. It still hurt and I didn't sleep. Yesterday, I saw a doctor and he bandaged it properly and agreed I had been very-very lucky as the cut could have been much deeper and damaging. So, now I have a hurting and bandaged hand. Not good but a good reminder to be careful with everything. Today I shop for a stainless steel container of some sort so we can resume our grease collecting.
    Be careful out there.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Yorktown, Virginia
    My sympathies. I'm always worried that one of these times, when I've got a death grip on some glass jar trying to take the top off, the jar will shatter and take some of me with it. We strain our bacon grease through a paper coffee filter into a small Pyrex dish that has a snap off plastic lid. Works well for us. Heal quickly.

Damn.....glad to hear it was not worse then it could of been. Heal quickly!
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

North West Indiana
    I got for a Christmas gift, I asked for it, a jar opener. It is mechanical, adjusts to different heights, widths and my point exactly was worrying about breaking a jar (especially after "rapping" the lid with a butter knife handle).
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Tokyo Japan
    Sorry to hear about your hand Frank, hope you heal fast!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    I hope it heals fast, Frank. I put bacon grease in an old coffee can with lid. I always worry about glass. In fact, I always drink out of a plastic cup......
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Thomasville, GA
    Sorry to hear about the hand, Frank. Hope it heals quickly. Funny thing, I tend to get hurt more in the kitchen than in my shop!

By the way, your story makes me think of how everyone I can remember had a grease can on the stove top when I was a kid - something like this one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41oF705b1sL._SS500_.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	62653
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41oF705b1sL._SL75_AA30_.jpg  
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Los Angeles, CA
    Frank, sorry to hear about the freak accident. Hope it heals quickly.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

falcon heights, minnesota
    heal quick frank. as a side note, grandma used to use a 2# coffee can for the bacon grease.
    benedictione omnes bene