Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Case Hardware

Road Case Hardware

I'm in the middle of my first upholstery project. Also in the middle of building some equipment that will be used in a current business venture (Wright venture 1002...in Fusco terms). This piece will host a lcd screen and mini computer along with a few other pieces of media equipment. It's my first time using speaker carpet to cover a case. I'd have caught some pics of the hands, but they were covered in 3M 77 spray, fuzzy black fibers and wasn't touching my phone; luckily they peeled clean nicely. The cabinet is made of 1/2" plywood with 3/4" MDF top and bottom.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0367.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	62662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0368.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	62663

Anyhow I found a great place for the road case hardware (speaker carpet, steel corners, latches, etc.), Reliable Hardware, nice folks to do business with. Here is how it turned out so far. I sprayed the 3M 77 on both the case and carpet, let them dry some to finish trimming out. Once the adhesive dried some, you could lay one piece of the carpet over the other and cut through both for a matching seam. Just peal back the top layer and put out the scrap from underneath. There's not really any grain in the carpet, so both sides of the seam butt together nicely without a noticeable seam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0387.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	62664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0388.jpg 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	62665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0389.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	62666

There's definitely a method to the madness, a little practice and this should be pretty easy if I need to do more of them, but it turned out pretty good overall.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Looking real good but i would add some bling in the form of leds around the edges somewhere. The kind the kids use in the cars today you get in a strip and are multi colored. You can hook em up to the processor and make em do things to catch attention.

Make sure to mount display with some sort of vibration buffer given case size or you gonna have cracked lcds.
    cheers

Thanks Rob. I've got some of the RGB strips on the list to order and had already figured out that I can run them off the pic controller that is being used for the other controls. I'm thinking that I'll probably use them on a detachable sign or hood to make it easy to add-on. I've got an idea for some portable screens that they could be used in as well. I can then alter the colors or set them to a color(s) that matches the customer's theme too.

Good note on the lcd mount. I think I've got something that will work well, to protect it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Looking good Darren! Very professional
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Looks like a fine custom build.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

I got most of the hardware mounted in the photo booth tonight. Here's the first test and sneak preview.

This was a test mock up of mounting the equipment. I'll be pulling it back apart to make some final adjustments to the case and fix some of the covering, but it's turning out pretty well (IMHO). I have one little fix to do. The power button for the monitor is on the front and I forgot to leave access to press the button...easy enough fix though. Still need some opaque white plastic and to mount the light and cooling fan too.

Here's one of the guts and the mini computer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0392.jpg   IMAG0391.jpg  
    Darren

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    That's just tooooo cool! & great job on the carpeting, I had an old 'York' Bass amp covered with something similar, held up great!

Too cool, Darren. It looks very professionally done so far. What software are you using? Is it something you wrote or is it a commercially available product?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks. It's a commercially available software, this one is called Spark Booth. It was the easier more user friendly version and easy to get up and running. It allows overlays of the prints to include custom graphics. Can also customized the main screen to match a clients event. The other affordable software is much more customizable, also has green screen, video, and touch screen support. I'd already bought the hardware for this booth before finding that software. Unfortunately the equipment is too underpowered (computing wise) to support it, so will spec the next booth for it.
    Darren

Very cool. Turning out quite well!

What kind of computer hardward do you have in there? Is it running on Linux?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash