Max Drawer Size

I'm sure there are specs out there...will see if I can locate any. For that large of a drawer and weight, you may consider doing a thicker bottom, like 1/2" ply.

Edit: Only finding clearance specs, not really anything on drawer size. I think that based on simple physics you could determine if additional slides are needed or not, say if the drawer was 3' tall and top heavy, you may want to have slides at the bottom side and maybe a set towards the top. The trash can and pan pull-outs I did for my kitchen have no problem supporting the weight from the bottom alone with the 100# glides I used.

Last edited:
Cynthia, I usually go to this site to check drawer slide specs and for the best price. Blum.com is another good source, of course. I've used the "house brand" of slides from woodworker.com for years without any issues.

Edit: I did a search for large slides and found a somewhat common thread among different brands. For instance, 500lb slides can be found for anything from 12" to 60" in length (drawer depth) but the maximum width is 42".

Last edited:
I once made a sewing table for my wife, and the requirement was that the drawer hold a yardstick. I forget exactly how wide the drawer was, but ID was obviously > 36". The thing racked terribly, and we gave it away.

I think that unless you're looking at industrial grade hardware, you need to be careful about going wider than what you usually see on furniture or kitchen cabs.

If you look at the thread I posted on mappa burl cabinets I did a 48" wide drawer with blum under mounts and they were as smooth as could be with no racking or binding. Each drawer had 2 pulls and you could open the drawer just by using one pull.

They were the blumotion which if I remember correctly are the soft close versions with all the adjustments front and back. Glad you posted the link. Thought I did guess I'm getting old timers as another birthday goes by.:doh: