Baltic Birch plywood quality

I tried dovetail joints in 3/4 inch Baltic Birch plywood for some drawers. The plywood splintered so badly as to be unusable. I have made dovetail joints in solid wood with no problems. Are there different grades of Baltic Birch or can it simply not be done?

Thanks, DKT

Most plywood is going to give you trouble doing router cut dovetails. I've had decent success but only when I use a backer board and a sacrificial board across the face to limit tear out. It also helps to first run the dovetail bit along the full width of the joint making a shallow cut to limit splintering.

I tried dovetail joints in 3/4 inch Baltic Birch plywood for some drawers. The plywood splintered so badly as to be unusable. I have made dovetail joints in solid wood with no problems. Are there different grades of Baltic Birch or can it simply not be done?

Thanks, DKT
Don't take this personally because it's just my personal opinion. Even if you make perfect dovetail in BB plywood the just don't look good to me and I only use dovetails in solid wood. For 1/2'' BB plywood I like to make a locking rabbit joint. The locking rabbit is strong and is very sufficient for drawers.

lockrabbitLarge.jpg

True Baltic Birch or Appleply machines well if a backer board as mentioned is used to prevent blow out. Or, you can hand cut the DT's if you are so inclined.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif