Thread: Dust collector motor question

Dust collector motor question

I am looking into setting up a dust collector. This is going into a lean-to outside of my shop. I have been given an old Torit dust collector that I am going to retrofit. It has a 3 phase motor and I plan on replacing this with a single phase motor. My question is what type of motor should I buy. I plan on a TEFC type but am wondering if I should buy a compressor duty or some other type and what RPM should I get. I may build or buy a cyclone to add under the blower.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

i would use mine as an example and its a continuous duty 3450rpm.. others with larger systems can make there suggestions..mine is 2hp paul..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The existing dust collector has a 5 hp motor on it so I figure to keep the power level the same. I guess I could check the rpm on the existing motor....duuuuuhhhh. I want the TEFC type motor because the yellowjacket hornets like to build nests all over in the lean-to. I have read that the 5 hp systems with 6 inch pipe have real good efficiency. I did some welding for a guy and got lots of 6 inch pipe and the torit on trade. I am working him for a emmert vice I saw gathering dust in his shop.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

You may want to look for a farm duty motor - they are at least somewhat sealed, and are rated for heavy use, but less than continuous industrial duty.

When I was running a 2 hp dust collector, I expanded to 6 inch pipes, but when I upgraded to a 5 hp cyclone, with a far larger impeller, I can now run 8 inch (which is comparable to two 6 inch). There is a lot more to designing a dust collector system than just putting a motor on a fan - be sure you maintain the design of the original system if you aren't sure.

Rather than scrapping a 3 phase motor, are you aware that you can get about 70% of the motor power with a very simple phase converter that basically powers just one phase, and uses the other phases as the starter windings.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com